• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing oil

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
No. Seems kind of dumb to have to remove a rubber flap with clips that break to get to the filter though.
I haven't broken any of the clips. All it takes is a phillips head screw driver that you turn by hand, and a small amount of patience. I did have to apply a bit of pressure under the mushroom head of one of the fittings last time with a flat bladed screw driver, while turning the screw with the phillips head. No special tools are needed at all.

The internet is filled with people talking smack about things they have no experience with. Don't be one of those people. It helps nobody.

Since I have to work on ramps, the oil runs down the frame, aft. I'm not sure if the trough is working as it is supposed to in that configuration. It might work better if you have a lift or a maintenance pit. It's not that big of a deal to clean up and I figure the residue rusts proof that area, I don't think that it's that big of a deal beyond not always properly guessing where the oil is going to spill out.
Hmm. That sucks. I'll bet you could slip some sort of tube, maybe a short section of garden hose, over the end of the trough to direct the flow into your drain pan?

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Hmm. That sucks. I'll bet you could slip some sort of tube, maybe a short section of garden hose, over the end of the trough to direct the flow into your drain pan?
I could give 'er a try and see what happens.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
My first Ranger was a 99 3.0 that literally had a funnel bolted to the block under the filter with a hose that tucked up over the axle when you weren’t using it.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Oil is slippery.

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Yeah, the filter location is definitely not well thought out lol.

Not for the end consumer anyways. It's well thought out for ford though.. gets more people to bring it to the dealer to have it changed.

The filter location on the 2.3 duratec is infinitely better.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
gets more people to bring it to the dealer to have it changed
I bet the guys at the dealer Curse those cover fasteners. Wastes their time. Most of them get paid by how many work orders they complete in a day.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In regard to the T6 vs the US version... major differences between the two, including a completely different frame, bumpers and body panels. The US Ranger was specifically designed for the US. It's nothing like a rebadged T6.
On the other hand it is by no means a totally new truck for the US.

It is like the T6 with a minor facelift and a major powertrain change.

People try to lump 89-92 Rangers in with the 83-88's and they have less in common between them than the 19+ NA Ranger and the T6.

I was standing 10' away from a new Ranger (that had a T6 banjo style rear axle under it) the day after the vehicle launch in Detroit when the Ranger team was saying that trying to distance the NA Ranger from the T6 to us.

All new frame... different frame ends to mount a steel bumper, maybe tweaks for US crash testing.
Retuned Suspension... easy to do, commonly done. Ranger is more of a work truck overseas so that is very understandable.
New body... different nose to fit the steel bumper, I think the aluminum hood, front fenders and tailgate are unique to the US truck also. Possible structural tweaks for US crash testing too.
Interior... same that looks like it was inspired by something out of the '0X's. My wife's '08 Edge looks very similar.

If the Ranger was truly "all new" they wouldn't be doing a total update after only 3 production years.

Yeah, the filter location is definitely not well thought out lol.

Not for the end consumer anyways. It's well thought out for ford though.. gets more people to bring it to the dealer to have it changed.

The filter location on the 2.3 duratec is infinitely better.
It is but it isn't. Ranger has a bigger (actually not sure if the other 4cyl EB's even have one) oil cooler that changes the oil filter base. So it is good for everything/everybody except the guy changing the oil.

The oil filter flap isn't a huge deal though like henry said.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
But it is close enough that some T6 stuff will fit. I saw a snorkel kit the other day being offered for the NA Ranger from a T6. I think it was ARB.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But it is close enough that some T6 stuff will fit. I saw a snorkel kit the other day being offered for the NA Ranger from a T6. I think it was ARB.
In the land of Oz those are a factory option...

I thought they would fit the outside but I wondered how things would line up on the inside, I figured they would have to change the air filter housing. Ford often can't help themselves that way...

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
All new frame... different frame ends to mount a steel bumper, maybe tweaks for US crash testing.
"The frame rails were redesigned to be fully boxed, enabling the Ranger to haul up to 1,860 lbs in SuperCab 4x2 guise and tow up to 7,500 lbs regardless of the cab or drivetrain configuration."

"The US didn't get the fourth-generation Ranger at the same time as the rest of the world because Ford knew the truck needed to be improved for the US market. As such, its launch was delayed as the chassis was developed further to increase payload and towing capacities."

2019 Ford Ranger

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"The frame rails were redesigned to be fully boxed, enabling the Ranger to haul up to 1,860 lbs in SuperCab 4x2 guise and tow up to 7,500 lbs regardless of the cab or drivetrain configuration."

"The US didn't get the fourth-generation Ranger at the same time as the rest of the world because Ford knew the truck needed to be improved for the US market. As such, its launch was delayed as the chassis was developed further to increase payload and towing capacities."

2019 Ford Ranger
The US didn't get the fourth gen Ranger because Ford stated many times they felt it was too close in size and capability to the F-150.

The T6 has a fully boxed frame and is actually rated to tow more than the US Ranger. Their stupid (beyond stupid) statement in 2011 was if you want MPG get a Focus, if you want a light duty truck get a base V6 F-150. There is no need for a Ranger anymore. They beat that drum for years.

Here is a 2012-16 fully boxed T6 chassis for sale in South Africa:

Tow/payload ratings for the T6 in the UK:

3500kg = 7716lbs towing. '19+ has up to 1140kg/2513lbs payload.

Like the first time around it wasn't until the Tacoma and Colorado saw a resurgence in interest that Ford decided to get back into the pool. The T6 came out in 2011, the same year the Ranger died in NA. It was faceifted in 2015. It does not take 9 years to "improve" a vehicle to get it into a different market... unless you want it to.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
🍆 💦💦

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Tire Size
The US didn't get the fourth gen Ranger because Ford stated many times they felt it was too close in size and capability to the F-150.

The T6 has a fully boxed frame and is actually rated to tow more than the US Ranger. Their stupid (beyond stupid) statement in 2011 was if you want MPG get a Focus, if you want a light duty truck get a base V6 F-150. There is no need for a Ranger anymore. They beat that drum for years.

Here is a 2012-16 fully boxed T6 chassis for sale in South Africa:

Tow/payload ratings for the T6 in the UK:

3500kg = 7716lbs towing. '19+ has up to 1140kg/2513lbs payload.

Like the first time around it wasn't until the Tacoma and Colorado saw a resurgence in interest that Ford decided to get back into the pool. The T6 came out in 2011, the same year the Ranger died in NA. It was faceifted in 2015. It does not take 9 years to "improve" a vehicle to get it into a different market... unless you want it to.

Very interesting, thanks for posting this.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ford wanted to prop up their numbers on the F-150, their pride and joy, and the Ranger sales were declining. Supposedly enough that what money they were making was drying up. That seemed to work for a while until the market changed.

When they brought back the Ranger, their car sales were drying up. So, now they are focused on trucks and SUVs with vans in the mix.

It all comes down to money and the market. What are most of their customers buying and where are we starting to lose money?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals