• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

90 BII not cranking

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
I have a 90 B2 5spd, new fuel pump, new fuel pressure regulator, and get spark with correct timing but it will not fire up when turned over. But I can get it to run when I spray ether into the TB and it runs quite fine. One thing I noticed is when I pull the return line off the fpr and turn the engine over gas comes out somewhere on the intake, but it does not when the line is hooked back up. Could the computer cause just the fuel injectors not to cycle? Would a computer from an auto 89 work? The engine doesn't even backfire when just using gas-nothing. Any ideas? Thanks.:annoyed:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 90 B2 5spd, new fuel pump, new fuel pressure regulator, and get spark with correct timing but it will not fire up when turned over. But I can get it to run when I spray ether into the TB and it runs quite fine. One thing I noticed is when I pull the return line off the fpr and turn the engine over gas comes out somewhere on the intake, but it does not when the line is hooked back up. Could the computer cause just the fuel injectors not to cycle?
Are you saying that fuel is leaking out of the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line that connects to the upper intake plenum?

I am just confused that you would state that fuel is leaking when you disconnect the return line; but doesn't not when reconnected - the return to the tank is going to leak because there's fuel going back to the tank. The regulator maintains a set amount of resistance in the fuel system to make sure there's enough pressure for fuel atomization out of the injectors. What's left goes back to the tank.

The computer does control the injectors, but the 2.9L is batch fire - 3 injectors fire at once, all six injectors are controlled by 2 wires.

The engine doesn't even backfire when just using gas-nothing.
I am not exactly sure what you mean - are you just dumping gas into the intake plenum?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Depress the schraeder valve on the fuel rail and see if fuel sprays out strongly, after turning the key from off to run (not cranking the starter) and repeating several times to build up fuel pressure.

If it doesn't spray out strongly (watch your eyes, use a rag to cover) then check the inertia switch behind the carpet where the passenger's toes hit. On top it has a reset button. Reset it and if that doesn't help, jumper those two wires together to rule out the inertia switch.

If that doesn't work, check the fuel pump fuse (should do that first) and replace the fuel pump relay (it has the green socket).

Here's an electrical diagram for the Fuel Pump circuit: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagrams_ElectronciEngControls2_9_1of3.JPG

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
Thanks for the replies. When I said it doesn't even backfire I meant with the main fuel line supply as the gas supply. And the gas when it leaks on the manifold isn't coming from the fpr when disconnected. I will try the test with the schraeder valve. I had already checked the fuel pump relay, but the inertia button doesn't move down when I press on it- don't know if it is just a contact that makes it work. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals