• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by GentleRF

1. A TK5 question...

In my '86 Ranger there is a Toyo-Kogyo 5-speed manual. The output shaft speedometer gear has been a mangled mess since I picked it up via freecycle.org back in '05. Now that I have the correct gear, I am wondering if it is remotely possible to replace the gear while the transmission is still in...
  2. A continuing saga...

My youngest son was the recipient of a '89 Ranger. I got a call from him on Father's Day when the TFI module went out in downtown Edmonds, Washington. We got that fixed the following weekend. The next call came just this last week and the truck was blowing water out the exhaust. After two days...
  3. Interesting/funny signature lines

I saw this one on another forum (fsjnetwork.com): "Jeep, making mechanics out of ordinary people for over 70 years."
  4. Transmission types to go with a 4.0L

So what types of manual or automatic transmissions would go with a 4.0L into or out of a '91 Ranger? I'm thinking of doing a transplant into my '86. Tying to get by as cheaply as possible since I'm on a fixed income.
  5. A smokin engine...

Well, on the way to a camping weekend with the niece wife and dog when coming out of peasely canyon on SR 18 near Auburn, the engine decided to start running rough and spew white smoke. Barely made it to the Auburn way exit and it stopped just before the end of the off ramp. Would not restart...
  6. Now that I got this...

85 full-size Bronco D44 front end and 4 31-10.50R15LT's, what do I do with them. I have thought about putting it under my Ranger but hoo boy! Do I need a lot of stuf to make things work right (like a turbo set up for the 2.3 or a 4.0). I'm bracing myself for this: any ideas?:icon_confused:
  7. Oil issues

I gave my '89 Ranger to my youngest son. Today it stopped with a check oil light on and a lot of oil in the engine compartment. It has 2.9 v6 and an a4ld automatic and is a 2WD. Any insights would be greatly appreciated since it is stuck in Edmonds, WA and I'm across the water in East Bremerton...
  8. Toyo Kogyu transmission in an 86 w/a 2.3...

Oay, heres the history of Fred the friendly Ford's lack of an operating speedometer: Eight years ago, I got this ranger from a fellow on free cycle.org. At that time the speedometer was not working. I put a cable and casing in it with no success. I thought it might be in the speedometer and did...
  9. B1600 things to do...

I have a '75 Mazda b1600, 4 speed and some larger 15 inch tires on it. What I'm thinking is taking the old tranny out and putting a later (78 or later) 5 speed in and possibly a 4 x 4 setup in it after overhauling the 1600. Any wisdom and/or parts would be welcome. I'd also like to retain the...
  10. Transmission interchanging

Here's my problem: I have an '86 ranger with a 2.3L and from the day I originally got it, the drive gear in the FM145 Mitsubishi box has needed replacement. I found a source for it but had an additional question. Can the later model (88 and up) FM146 go in place of the 145? If so, how much fab...
  11. From East Bremerton in Western Washington

Comes yours truly, Rick Fallstrom. I have an 86 Ranger which I call my boomerang truck. It just keeps coming back to me. Otherwise he is known as Fred, the friendly Ford. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad