• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by howdisrespectful

1. howdisrespectful

Squealing from engine bay

Update! parts came in and I got to work. Replaced steering pump as well as return and pressure lines. Decided to keep the current pulley as it looked fine. job was easy enough took me about 2 hrs with a “pulley puller” rented from auto parts store and a quart of some type F ATF. got...
  2. howdisrespectful

Ok small update: Removed and inspected my belt and it looks fine. No rot, no cracks or tears. I inspected all pulleys and the only one that was stiff and squeaked a bit was my power steering. It had a lot of resistance and the pulley itself had “in and out” play. (Best way I can describe is...
  3. howdisrespectful

Thank you for the response! I will check each pulley tonight. Also thought I should add: The squeal doesn’t change when driving or turning the car. It’s directly related to RPMs, increased at speed and decreasing at braking. Pitch and frequency are unaffected by any other movement. I found a...
  4. howdisrespectful

Hi everyone! this morning my ‘91 4.0 XLT began squealing from the engine bay. This is completely new. it was a constant squeal coming from what sounded like the steering pump, but I’m not sure what it could be. After driving for a few miles the squeak died down some and only made noise once I...
  5. howdisrespectful

Ball joints and a local mechanic

Hi all, I have a 91 Ranger 4.0 4wd that desperately needs new ball joints. I tackled the passenger side last week and although it was difficult, it was doable. It took longer than I hoped so I opted to take it to a local reputable shop for the driver side. here’s where it gets weird: I drop it...
  6. howdisrespectful

Solving engine trouble codes 22/23 OBD-1

UPDATE: I recently replaced my TPS with a Motorcraft sensor and it definitely did what is was supposed to do! The idle smoothed out by a ton and it ran much better than ever before! Before installing it I unplugged my battery and allowed my computer to reset so there would be no issue. I took...
  7. howdisrespectful

I am reading the codes with the old paperclip method :) I have done it over five times now so I am positive I am not missing a flash. I tested the voltages of all sensor connectors and the voltages are as follows: TPS 5.0v MAF 11.98v BMAP 5.0v I also went through the entire intake system so...
  8. howdisrespectful

Hello all I’m a newbie and am looking for some advice/tips/. I am the new owner of a 1991 4.0 ohv XLT 4wd Ranger and I’ve got some trouble codes. the engine has a rough idle and will get very jerky when passing 3k rpms in any gear. Code 23 is for the throttle position sensor and after some...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad