• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Ignition start problem

I have a 1988 Ranger 2.9 liter. I haven’t run it for several months when it started and ran fine. Now, when I turn the key to the start position, the starters turns the engine and the engine fires and begins to run. When I turn the starter back to the on position, the engine dies. The dash...
  2. Instrument Cluster Trim Cover

I am trying to clean the instrument cluster trim cover on my 1987 Ranger. A previous owner, or owner’s kids applied stickers to the brushed chrome face. I used some tar and bug remover to get most of the glue off, but I’m concerned about using anything too aggressive to remove the remaining...
  3. temperature gauge

I am trying to diagnose the cause for no temp reading on my ‘87 2.9 liter Ranger. I have installed a new thermostat and block temp sensor. I have removed the temp gauge from the instrument cluster. I have a multimeter and a continuity tester. How can I test the gauge itself? Thanks! l
  4. OEM paint

I am painting a fender, hood and rock deflector taken from my red, ‘87 donor truck. I will use the panels to replace those that are damaged on my ‘88 XLS that is dark metallic blue. Can I spray the urethane base coat on top of a lacquer primer?
  5. Tire recommendations for my 1987 Ranger project

I am working on a 1987 Ranger 4X4 project. I have painted it anvil grey (a Jeep color.) I like the blacked-out look and have powder coated the outside trim, bumpers and 15" wheels. I am also working on a red interior. What 15" tires would look good with this design? I probably won't use it...
  6. Tranmission magnet

I just dropped the pan for a fluid and filter change of the A4LD transmission in my 1987 Ranger. I expected to find a magnet in the bottom recess, but none was there. Was the transmission delivered with a magnet when it was built? I suspect that the fluid was changed at some time in the...
  7. Starter relay wire connectors question

I have a 1987 Ranger STX 2.9l 4x4 manual transmission. I have just replaced the starter motor which had failed. The engine now starts, but the battery drains overnight with all electrical accessories off. The problem appears to be a grounded wire on the feed terminal of the starter relay...
  8. 1987 Ranger 4x4 locking front hubs

I just bought a 1987 Ranger 4x4 with manual locking hubs that I am working to get back on the road. The hubs came off with the wheels when I took them off to inspect the wheel bearings. The Haynes Repair Manual shows a "retainer washer" for one lug bolt on the outside of the hub. Does anyone...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad