• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. p0171 p0174, pinging, maf?

Hello, i've been dealing with a system too lean both banks, high idle ltft, misfire at idle, and a ping under load. Today, i unplugged the maf, and the idle barely changes, in fact it smoothed out a bit. The random lope was gone. Does that mean i habe a bad maf, or do i have a problem elsewhere...
  2. Leaking IAC and EGR Valves

Hello all, my 98 4.0ohv with 148xxx miles has exhibited symptoms of a vacuum leak since I bought it, LTFT's both at +25 at idle, falling as engine load increases to 0 at WOT. Classic vacuum leak symptoms. I did upper and lower intake gaskets this summer, with injector orings as well. Still have...
  3. Burning Oil in Rear Cylinders

Hello, I have a 98 4.0 ohv with 142xxx miles that is using oil very fast, like a quart per tank. (no smoke, no leaks that I can find). It blackens the rear two plugs alot, the middle two somewhat, and the front two are perfectly clean. That to me seemed like an intake gasket issue, so I tore the...
  4. Oil Consumption, Oily Intake

Hello all, i have a 98 with a 4.0 ohv, 140k miles. I bought it off a guy ive since learned was a compulsive liar, so every day i find a new issue on this thing. It has been consuming about a quart per tank (200-230 miles), but no smoke, even on startup, and no oil on ground/outside of motor...
  5. Oil Consumption, Oily Intake

Hello all, i have a 98 with a 4.0 ohv, 140k miles. I bought it off a guy ive since learned was a compulsive liar, so every day i find a new issue on this thing. It has been consuming about a quart per tank (200-230 miles), but no smoke, even on startup, and no oil on ground/outside of motor...
  6. Leaks in Several Areas

Hello, I've searched, but haven't found another person SPECIFICALLY with the problem I have. I wanted to ask how a third brake light leak usually manifests itself. I have wet headliner in both upper corners of my back glass, but not across the top. Could that still be third brake light, or...
  7. 4.0 sohc years

Hello all, i bought a 98 XLT 4x4 5 speed yesterday, not knowing anything about the infamous sohc. Would a 98 ranger have an ohv or sohc? Fwiw it sounds healthy. Thanks guys!
  8. TTB Diff leak

Hello, i looked at a used 94 ranger today that i really want to buy, and the price is right. The 4x4 actuator is baf, so it hasnt been in 4wd in several years. The front axle/diff turns smoothly and freely, however i moticed the passenger side axle shaft has play where it enters the pumpkin...
  9. 02 FX4 vs. 03 FX4 LII

I am looking at two trucks, an 02 FX4 twin stick with 61,xxx miles, and an 03 FX4 LII auto with 99,xxx. Both trucks are the same color, same price, both in excellent condition, two owner, I am wondering which route to go? I enjoy both stick and autos, I want the truck that is the better buy and...
  10. Clutch or trans?

Hey all, I have an 04 ranger with a 2.3, 5 speed and 2wd. I just put a lunchbox locker in it this week, and coincidentally or not, I now feel like my clutch is not disengaging all the way. When I put the truck in gear from stopped, it slightly jumps forward, and shifting gears is more difficult...
  11. Off road setup with stock wheels?

I have an 04 XL with the steel 15" wheels, and want to do a mild 2-3" lift and go to 31 or 32" tires. Has anyone run bigger tires on these wheels, or do you need to go to a different wheel? If so, anyone have pics?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad