• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. '01 4.0 SOHC - Runs rough & dies - No Codes

Just picked up a '01 4.0 SOHC that sat for a couple years. Person I got it from was told it was a fuel pump, which he replaced and that didn't resolve his issues. Not sure what else he attempted. Will run, not sure how many cylinders it's firing on but it's tough to get it to run and it will...
  2. 1999 Ranger 3.0 - Auto Hubs dissengaging

Working on a new project truck I had planned to sell, but figured I'd keep it over the winter. Yesterday was literally the first time I've driven it more than a couple hundred yards and today was the first time I've used the 4x4 (other than checking it earlier to make sure it worked). Shifts...
  3. 1997 4.0 4wd Valve Body

I've got a '97 ext cab 4wd 4.0 I've thrown a no.3 solenoid error, which I've cleared twice and it hasn't come back in a while. Previously changed the valve body gasket after the first time and before that had dropped the pan and replaced the trans filter with a fluid top off. After the first...
  4. Climate control blower motor resister/wiring & Vacuum Leak

Just got done tearing down a 99 Mazda B3000 (3.0) (Heads & Gaskets) Picked this up as a flipper, prior to tearing it down the climate control fan would only work on high and also only in the defrost setting. I replaced the fan blower motor/resister and the wiring and didn't see any obvious...
  5. 1997 4.0 Ranger - ABS Light

Have a '97 rear only ABS Light came on a few weeks ago, master cylinder level is fine and about 10,000 miles ago the fluid was changed. Replaced the sensor on the back diff and the light is still on. My code reader wouldn't read it, brought it to O'Reilly's and there's wouldn't work. Brought...
  6. 1997 4.0 Ranger - Tranny cooler install

Thought I'd have some rubber hose to splice into, but have rigid lines to/from the transmission. Don't want to cut one of those, but what options do I have? The other question, seems like there's no right wrong answer. But install it before the top line or after the bottom line? Thanks
  7. 1997 4.0 Ranger Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Looking at replacing the front bearings in my '97 Ranger 4x4 (manual hubs - aftermarket). Doesn't look like I can buy the whole hub like the '98 and above, but could someone please point me in the right direction what I need for bearings and seals please. Typically shop advance auto parts or...
  8. 1997 Ford 4.0 OHV Injector Rebuild Kit

Popping the O-rings off I cracked one small plastic piece on the end of the injector (engine side) and another one went flying. Of course for the '97 the injectors appear to be 3-4x as much as any other year. Feebay looks like 200.00 a set and I can't swing that right now if I don't have to. I...
  9. 1997 4.0 70mm double ended exhaust studs

Working a '97 4.0 Had to cut a couple of the studs off and didn't in a million years think it would be impossible to find replacements. There's 3 or 4 double sided studs on this one with the remaining ones being hardened bolts and I was able to re-use those. On a previous 2000 4.0 I had used...
  10. **HELP** Exhaust manifold stud

Trying to get the heads pulled off a '97 Ford Ranger 4.0 EGR pipe/tube going toward rear appears to be blocking access to the bottom/rear stud/nut of the exhaust manifold. I can get my fingers on it, but can't do a dang thing. Someone have some sort of socket/wrench configuration that might...
  11. 1997 Ford Ranger 4.0 OHV head replacement

I recently replaced the heads on a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 and looking to sell that and have a 1997 project truck waiting. I've seen some references where in 1998 the heads may have changed? I'm looking at these heads on feebay (unless someone has a better source) and they say 1997 and up? Is...
  12. Power Steering

2000 4.0 OHV Ranger Power steering has been making some noise on the fixer upper I've been working on. I grabbed a different pump/hardware at the junk yard and it didn't change a thing. I realize that it could also be bad, but I would have thought it wouldn't have been exactly the same. While...
  13. 4.0 OHV Assembly Help (ID)

Finally getting things buttoned up, but waiting on a gasket. Couple questions - Is there any thing (bracket or ??) below where the dipstick attaches to the block? I've got about an inch of space between the bracket the holds the dipstick to the block and the block and it appears there was...
  14. 2000 4.0 OHV intake plenum gasket

Waiting on my head bolts and looking over the victor reinz gasket set I bought for my 2000 4.0 OHV. Insert mentions on '96 and up that between the lower intake manifold and the fuel rail manifold there is a 3mm thick plastic spacer with paper gaskets glued on each side of the spacer. (can...
  15. 4.0 OHV Head Replacement

Opinions on re-manufactured heads vs new ones? Looking at picking up two new heads, one vendor on feebay has a three year warranty. Specs sound good, but who knows? Think the other one is clearwater something or other, believe those are new heads with the valves/springs installed. About...
  16. 4.0 OHV Replacing Heads - What else

2000 Ranger 4.0 OHV Will be replacing the heads soon, unknown history on the truck (150,xxx). While I have it torn down, what else should I replace for preventative maintenance and ease of installation while it's apart and at the same time not just throw a bunch of extra money away. Thanks
  17. 2000 4.0 OHV - Missfire Cylinder 2

Picked up a 2000 4.0 OHV with approx 150,xxx on the clock. Rough idle between 1500-2000 rpm, down on power. Replaced plugs, affected wires, checked another coil pack. Have a fuel injector on order, but just tested two injectors and they're both similar resistance. Around 16.2 I believe. Did it...
  18. 2000 4.0 OHV - Missfire Cylinder 2

Picked up a 2000 4.0 OHV with approx 150,xxx on the clock. Rough idle between 1500-2000 rpm, down on power. Replaced plugs, affected wires, checked another coil pack. Have a fuel injector on order, but just tested two injectors and they're both similar resistance. Around 16.2 I believe. Did...
  19. 2000 4.0 OHV IAC vacuum line?

Just picked up a 2000 Ranger 4.0 OHV, running rough under 2000 rpm's so going through the regular checklist and doing a tune up today. First thing I went to go do is remove/clean the ICV. Appears to be a vacuum line that's supposed to be on it. Googling, I see a few pictures that look like it's...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad