• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 4.0 OHV oil leak.

Can someone verify these are the correct o-rings I found here? Do I need one of these...
  2. removing the Y pipe from a 4.0

OK Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I may have to drill mine out.
  3. removing the Y pipe from a 4.0

OK so I am trying to remove my 4R55E transmission from my Ranger. I tried to get it out without taking the Y pipe out but finally gave up. I broke / loosened the bolts on the collars at the exhaust manifold end but am having problems with the studs that go to the catalytic converter (see...
  4. Removing 4R55e from 1996 4.0? Things to replace while trans is out?

OK THANKS VERY MUCH guys. I got the driveshaft removed and all of the electrical connections / shifter linkage. I am having a problem with the #$@ exhaust manifold bolts. They just don't wont to loosen. I tried heating them and also using P Blaster on them. The studs at the catalytic...
  5. Removing 4R55e from 1996 4.0? Things to replace while trans is out?

I searched the forum and it appears that the easiest way to do this is to disconnect the "Y" pipes from the exhaust manifold to the cat. I have a few questions about this. 1. Do you just leave the pipes hanging or can you remove them for easier trans removal? 2. Will the transmission slip...
  6. Are you getting my messages? I sent you a PM about this a while back but did not hear anything...

Are you getting my messages? I sent you a PM about this a while back but did not hear anything. Are you getting my messages?
  7. 4R55E to 5R55E simple reprogramming flash or more to it?

Thanks guys. I did not realize the extra gear was in the low range. I see what Orca means now, not really worth the bother, some marketing for the salespeople to use to sell more Rangers with back in the day.
  8. 4R55E to 5R55E simple reprogramming flash or more to it?

I have a 96 Ranger with the 4.0 V6 and 245k miles on it. I believe it has a 4R55E in it but from what I understand it can be "converted" to a 5R55E by software. Has anyone ever done this before? What module needs the software "upgrade"? The ECM or another module? Do I need to replace any...
  9. Large fluid level changes when cold / hot?

OK Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to remove some fluid. I am going to pick this up at Harbor Freight today and see if it works taking off the adapter and sticking the tube down the fill when it is cold. https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html
  10. Large fluid level changes when cold / hot?

I have a 96 4.0 Ranger with the 4R44E transmission. I noticed when the trans was cold and engine running it showed low fluid (below the bottom hole). I added about 1/2 of a quart of Mercon V and noticed the transmission shifting odd. I then checked after driving about 30 miles and noticed it...
  11. Can only link one "new" remote to 96 Ranger how add more??

I have one remote for my 96 Ranger that is all beat up and the buttons don't always work. I bought 4 used replacements on Ebay. For some weird reason, if I add a "new" remote (using this procedure on youtube ). After the doors unlock and lock I can add a new remote. However, my original...
  12. Motorcraft YN-12-D PAG Oil single or double end capped?

I am replacing the accumulator on my 96 Ranger. I obtained some Motorcraft YN-12-D PAG Oil for it which is supposed to be the correct oil for my AC system. Does anyone know if this is single or double end capped? I tried to contact Ford and they had no idea. I guess if the system was...
  13. Rocker Arm Shaft Pedistal Torque?? Bolts Reuseable??

Can someone tell me what the correct torque is for the rocker arm shaft pedestals? There are three of them on my OHV 4.0 engine and the service manual says to torque to 24 ft pounds and then turn 90 degrees. This sounds like a torque to yield bolt. Can these bolts be reused? Also, if you...
  14. Rocker Arm Shaft Pedistal Torque?? Bolts Reuseuable??

Can someone tell me what the correct torque is for the rocker arm shaft pedestals? There are three of them on my OHV 4.0 engine and the service manual says to torque to 24 ft pounds and then turn 90 degrees. This sounds like a torque to yield bolt. Can these bolts be reused? Also, if you...
  15. Rocker arm shaft retaining pin replacement?

I am replacing some worn rocker arms on my 4.0 and was wondering if you need to replace the pin that is on the end of the rocker shaft that is behind the spring? I went to my Ford dealer and was told the part is obsolete. Has anyone just reused the pin? Any danger it will fall out if you...
  16. is it really necessary to remove upper intake to remove valve covers?

I have oil leaks on my valve covers on my 96 Ranger 4.0. I was looking at the engine and it appears I can remove the valve covers without removing the upper intake like I have heard. The drivers side will be tight and the EGR tube from upper intake will have to be removed. Has anyone done...
  17. FOUR U-Joints in 96 Ranger XLT??

I have a 96 Ranger XLT with extended cab and long bed. I was going to replace the U-Joints as it has 200k on the originals. I ordered 3 U-Joints for it because that is what it showed my truck used in the parts list. When I went underneath to replace them i found FOUR U-Joints! :icon_confused...
  18. Any way to replace passenger rear window "quadrant" on slider unit?

I have a 97 extended cab ranger with sliding rear window. The passenger side window quadrant is cracked. I found another sliding rear window with a broken center piece and drivers quadrant but intact passenger quadrant. Is there any way to remove just this piece and replace it? Everything...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad