• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Large fluid level changes when cold / hot?

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 96 4.0 Ranger with the 4R44E transmission. I noticed when the trans was cold and engine running it showed low fluid (below the bottom hole). I added about 1/2 of a quart of Mercon V and noticed the transmission shifting odd. I then checked after driving about 30 miles and noticed it is now about 1" above the cross hatched area and top hole. I also noticed some bubbles in the fluid which I think means it is foaming. Can anyone tell me what the fluid capacity range is between the lower hole and upper hole? Also, is the level accurate after driving around 45 min or 30 miles or is this too "hot". I don't know how much I should remove now to bring it back to normal.

Thanks

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Check the trans fluid when hot. So a 30min drive should do.
You've overfilled the trans. Not sure what can happen but the foaming gives me concern. I would loosen off the trans pan bolts and let out the same amount as you put in. Park on a bit of a hill or on car ramps.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yup, trans fluid should always be checked hot. Pretty sure it even says that on the dipstick lol. SOMETIMES you may be able to stick a gas tank siphon hose down the dipstick tube to remove some fluid. But usually your stuck pulling the pan like floored said.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I would loosen one of the fittings at the radiator and let it idle for a while to slowly leak out some fluid. There are 2 holes in the dipstick, one indicates too low to drive cold and the other is the minimum for a hot trans. If a transmission is overfull enough so the rotating parts hit fluid it will foam and could cause damage if the foam gets sucked up by the pump, very slightly over full won't hurt. Not overfull at all is best and safest.

gdk771

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to remove some fluid. I am going to pick this up at Harbor Freight today and see if it works taking off the adapter and sticking the tube down the fill when it is cold.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
That will work if the line is long enough to go down in the tube. A transmission guy also showed me a way. He took a glass jar with a metal lid, and drilled two round holes in the lid that fit some rubber line tightly. One line went through the lid only like 1/2 inch, and it hooked to a vacuum port on the engine. The other line was long and went to the bottom of the jar, through the other hole in the lid, and then all the way down the dipstick tube to the tranny pan. Turn the engine on, and it fills the jar right up. Turn the engine off when the jar almost gets full.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That will work if the line is long enough to go down in the tube. A transmission guy also showed me a way. He took a glass jar with a metal lid, and drilled two round holes in the lid that fit some rubber line tightly. One line went through the lid only like 1/2 inch, and it hooked to a vacuum port on the engine. The other line was long and went to the bottom of the jar, through the other hole in the lid, and then all the way down the dipstick tube to the tranny pan. Turn the engine on, and it fills the jar right up. Turn the engine off when the jar almost gets full.
This also works for bleeding brakes and slave cylinders on a trans. Just use the correct size hose for the bleeder nipples. There's pics somewhere on site of my setup.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah. Transylvania fluid is very thin and so it expands/contracts a lot with temperature changes and most transmissions run at about 177 degrees.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Wouldn't Transylvania fluid be blood? :dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals