• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

‘90 4.0 Struggles after shut off for short period (or Transmission/Driveshaft issue, idk)

RangerReviver1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 cu. in
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2’ Leveling Kit
Tire Size
265/75
So, it’s no surprise that my engine runs rough after i just it off and turn it back on after a short period of time. But this morning, i parked it, shut it off and left it there for about 30-40 minutes or so, came back and started it up to move it somewhere else and it ran fine. But it couldn’t keep a consistent rpm level, so the truck was lunging back and forth as im trying to pull away. But i went to take a turn to try to position it over a drain so i could wash out my bed and i went around a curb the the truck lunging forward and stalled, not like engine turned off kind of stalled but the truck just stopped, i pushed the gas down a couple times and it would just rev up the engine. So I took it out of gear and put it back into Drive and hit the gas again, but heard a clunk probably from my driveshaft and it lunged forward again, and continued moving. I got an extended cab so I got a 2-piece driveshaft, I was also on uneven ground so could it just have been the uneven ground and the driveshaft was at an awkward angle or something?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If you were in Drive and the engine would just free rev... it sounds more like a transmission issue then a driveshaft issue.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Unless the shifter had moved to N instead of D then +1 ^^^^, its a transmission issue
You had to shift it to P or N to restart, and then back to D to move, so maybe it was not locked in D the first time, just on the edge between N and D at the transmission end, so lunging as D engaged and disengaged
Check the linkage

Google: Ford Ranger column shifter loose
Common issue on all Ford trucks with column shifters

No, for sure, not drive shaft
Transfer case does have Neutral, but long shot for that, and for sure wouldn't re-engage

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals