• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

00 Ranger- Trailer Wiring Issue

00RangerMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay guys, Just had a hitch installed today, the guy installed the hitch, no issues, however, my factory wiring is rusted & rotted so he had no other choice but to install a wiring harness adapter, now this is where my issues come into play. When the wiring harness adapter is plugged into the factory plug-in near the spare tire holder, i lose my brake lights, blinker lights( Left, Right & Hazards) however my tail lights still continue to operate with the new harness plugged in... while i have full trailer wiring power i lose the above.. I un-hooked the new harness he installed and simply re-connected the factory harness and presto everything works again!! Now that i have come to the solution that no harnesses will work plugged in, What am i to do to get trailer lights and working tails, brakes, blinkers... I dont really want to splice into my 13 year old wiring unless i really have too... Please help!

Thank you guys!

its a 2000 Ford Ranger XL 3.0L Flex-Fuel Ext. Cab if it matters...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is a good How-to for trailer lights and Fords
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TrailerLights.html

For simple hook up all you need is 4 wires.
1. Left turn signal
2. Right turn signal
(the two above are also the brake lights)
3. Tail(running) lights
4. Ground

Grounds on older trailers are marginal, anytime you have a light problem with a trailer, no matter what you think it is, it WILL be a Ground problem, lol.
The old saying "start from the ground up" was invented by the first person to work on trailer lights :)
Might have been Benjamin Franklin, that whole kite thing with the key was to get a right tail light to work

Added wire can be:
electric trailer brake wire
Power wire
Reverse lights(also used to disengage hydraulic trailer brakes when backing up)

If only the end of the original harness was rusted out then just install a new connector using the color code or a test light to determine what each wire is.
They also make plastic snap on splice connectors
Google: snap on splice connectors picture
Very easy to install on original wires and with a bit of silicone very weather proof

Last edited:

00RangerMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
what if i were to get this kit, which doesn't involve splicing the wires, which i dont want to do unless its my last resort!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That looks like the Curt kit for the 4 wire Ford wiring so should be fine as long as you don't have the 7 wire on your model.

Let us know the kit number that works for your model, it might help others down the road

Last edited:

00RangerMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So to humor myself, i cut off the factory adaptor and cut fresh wires, installed it all color to color, now i have full operating tail lights , brakes etc on the truck end, when i go to plug in the trailer, i only have left side blinker & brake, no running lights on either side or right side blinker/brake working.. any clues, ideas? thanks guys!!

00RangerMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Another update! final for the evening as i am stumpped.. okay, i know this is starting to be stupid but.. i have another issue...

i fixed the following issues on the trailer end using the vehicle 4-way flat connector (freshly installed).. i now have

full running lights left/right
full driver side brake & signal

i still do not have, passenger side brake or blinker...

Help me guys! I'm going insane here!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ground....................it is always a ground issue on trailer wiring.

First thing you need is a 12v test light, one with alligator clip for ground and needle probe for +, to pierce wire insulation.

Test each wire on the truck side of the trailer wire, without it hooked up to trailer.
Make sure each one is for what you think it is for:
Ground
Right blinker
Left blinker
Tail light

Now on these 4 wire connectors the Ground is on one end, so you can connect the two halves together at 90deg to each other so only the Ground wire is connected.
Do that.

Now use the test light to connect each of the 3 remaining ports together, one at a time.
(Truck connector)---------Test light------------(trailer connector)
You are running the test light in "series", kinda like a fuse works, in this case the test light bulb is the fuse.

The test light and correct trailer light should respond the same.
If you are testing the tail lights then test light will light along with trailers running(tail) lights.

Now test the blinkers
if only the test light blinks then there is a short in that trailer light wire or socket because test light has a ground on that wire but not through the trailers light bulb or it would be flashing as well.

If test light doesn't blink then that trailer light doesn't have a Ground, its always a ground problem, lol.
Check that lights ground.

If test light and correct trailer light flash then all is well with that wire.
Next.

Last edited:

00RangerMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron, I will check!

00RangerMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Issue has been fixed, pulled out the testers, all lines worked accept the blue ( right side blinker/brake) I grabbed some wire, ran it from the right side tail light wire, ran it down to the trailer wiring connector and PRESTO!!! Working 100%

Thank you all for your help!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals