• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 4.0 auto fuel economy?

QuickSilver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had to buy a new truck. I killed my old one in water, hydrolocked and broke a rod. It was a 98 ranger 4x4 3.0 5 speed dual exhaust/no muffler. My new baby is an 02 ranger 4.0 4x4 with an auto. With the oldie I was getting about 22 mpg with mostly country driving. What can I expect with my new ride? I'm not sure what gear ratio it has in the pumpkins. But at 55 it runs right at 2k rpm. I drive very lightly on the country roads. Keeping it right at 35-40 mph which runs the motor right below 2k.

Also, do aftermarket airfilter kits improve fuel economy much?

Thanks!

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I usually get 17 mpg with my 4.0 auto 4x4. That's mostly highway driving. And no, aftermarket air filter kits won't do anything for gas mileage.

QuickSilver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is there any simple mods that can be done to improve fuel economy? 17 seems poor for a small pickup.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Not really, just keep it maintained and running properly, and go easy on the gas pedal. 17 mpg is about average for all small V6 pickups.

kerry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I've also got an '02 extended cab 4.0. The best I've ever done in mixed driving was 17.

In order to do that well, I have to keep the tires inflated to the max on the sidewall, keep excess weight out of the truck, and pay attention to condition of the air filter & other tune-up components.

These trucks are designed to haul & tow, not for gas milage.

Consider installing a low ratio differential if you need better milage than you are able to get by paying attention to the details & driving appropriately.

Kerry

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals