• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 escape steering wheel match to a 91 ranger?

Raser13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I love it when a plan comes together
Hey guys I have a 91 ranger that has manual steering. No power. And the steering wheel is one of those rubber vulcanized over a metal pipe interior. The problem I have is that since I have to pull so hard on the wheel in tight low speed parking lot scenarios that the vulcanization has come undone on the top half of the wheel. So now when you have to pull the wheel in this type of environment it wants to slide around all Willie nillie. Not good when your trying not to hit cars. This is my third ranger wheel they've all had this problem because they are all made the same way.

I saw this steering wheel in an 02 escape.

It seems to be made a little diferntly than mine. The rubber seems to be more plastic like than rubber. So it might hold up better. I know that it is bolted on to a four pronged bracket. And that that bracket is then bolted to the shaft in the column. My question is does any one know if the escape shaft of that vintage would match that of my ranger? I really need a whee that works for this thing. Not going to change out half my truck to add power steering.

My brother has one like this in his 83 ranger that is hard plastic.

If I can find one of those I would be ecstatic as well. There's just none around me.

Kealel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Raser13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I love it when a plan comes together
So, the shaft(spline) that the wheels plugs onto is the same? But you don't think it will work? Why not? The only thing that I need to electronically work on the wheel is the horn. I don't have cruise control or air bags on mine. Those functions would just be sitting idle. I can change the wiring on the disk on the back of the wheel to accommodate the new wheels horn position. That would make it good right?

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
This is good info that may not be available in the Tech Articles...are you doing a writeup by any chance or did I already ask you that?

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
This info is all in my wheel swap thread. I haven't done a write up on it, I would be happy to though.

CorbinFawver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L "Vulcan" v6
Transmission
Automatic
My dad has an 550 super duty wheel in his 2003 ranger. I assume with the non powered steering a bigger diameter wheel would be your best option. The super duty wheels are nice big and comfortable

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
This info is all in my wheel swap thread. I haven't done a write up on it, I would be happy to though.
Did you do the write up on this? I have been busy with some personal stuff that won't let me focus...as per usual...but I didn't see anything new in the Tech Article submissions thread...

It would be appreciated by someone I'm sure...:icon_thumby:

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I haven't, I will when I feel like I have a complete picture on this. I recently found an '01 wheel that looks like it should mount on my '85 column. If it does then I was wrong about all later date wheels not being compatable.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals