• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

05 B4000- Replaced brake light switch now cruise doesn't work

Ragnar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" Body lift
Tire Size
LT265/75R16 .... (31s)
05 B4000 Automatic. I replaced my brake light switch and now the cruise control doesn't work. The cruise light in the dash does not come on or engage cruise. It was working fine before I replaced the switch that is mounted on the brake pedal. Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? The brake lights work fine.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be a bad switch or connection

Brake light switch is TWO switches inside
One is regular 12v in and out for brake lights, 2 wires

Other is 3 wire switch, fuse 32 5amp(cab) for 12v in wire and also has a ground in wire
When brake pedal is up the wire Out of switch is a ground, it goes to cruise
When brake pedal is down Out wire is 12v, which shuts off cruise
If this Out wire has 12v all the time then no cruise
Or if its not a Ground no cruise

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Brake switch for the cruise is on the master cylinder

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, and also on the brake pedal switch
And in some years there is a vacuum valve on the booster end in the cab that releases vacuum in the cruise modulator so releases throttle plate
Usually a few "disable cruise" devices on any vehicle with cruise control, redundant safety thing

In new vehicles they have "radar" to shut off cruise, lol, but I WANT the flares as well, now that would be cool
I mean other drivers on the road are "kinda like" missiles, having some flares shooting off to distract them to avoid a collision should be a no brainer

Last edited:

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My bad, should have realized there'd be redundant inputs

Ragnar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" Body lift
Tire Size
LT265/75R16 .... (31s)
Could be a bad switch or connection

Brake light switch is TWO switches inside
One is regular 12v in and out for brake lights, 2 wires

Other is 3 wire switch, fuse 32 5amp(cab) for 12v in wire and also has a ground in wire
When brake pedal is up the wire Out of switch is a ground, it goes to cruise
When brake pedal is down Out wire is 12v, which shuts off cruise
If this Out wire has 12v all the time then no cruise
Or if its not a Ground no cruise
I replaced the brake light switch with a new one "again" hoping it was just a bad switch. Also checked and replaced the 5amp fuse in slot #32. brake switch (Logic) in the manual. Took it for a drive and still no cruise. I don't understand why the cruise worked with a bad switch and now it won't work with a new switch. Just to help you understand why I replaced the switch in the first place was because the truck would sometimes not shift out of park after starting. I posted that issue in here back in May 8th
Ragnar

B4000 shift lever stuck in Park

and was told in there to try replacing the shift solenoid on the steering column. That didn't work! Next I was told to try the brake light switch and check fuses. Now, here we are. The brake light switch seems to have rectified the shifting out of park issue (for now), but now the cruise doesn't work. So, as Colin has just posted, the brake switch for the cruise is on the master cylinder. Is this my next attempt at fixing the cruise issue?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't replace the deactivator switch(on master) just use an OHM meter on its 2 contacts, should be Closed(0 ohms) when brake pedal is up, and Open(infinite ohms) when pedal is pressed

I should have looked at ABS diagram, it also uses the 3 wire part of brake pedal switch so would have had ABS light on if that part was bad

There is also a Fluid Level sensor on master, 3 wire, thats not the Deactivator switch(2 wire)

Ragnar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" Body lift
Tire Size
LT265/75R16 .... (31s)
I wouldn't replace the deactivator switch(on master) just use an OHM meter on its 2 contacts, should be Closed(0 ohms) when brake pedal is up, and Open(infinite ohms) when pedal is pressed

I should have looked at ABS diagram, it also uses the 3 wire part of brake pedal switch so would have had ABS light on if that part was bad

There is also a Fluid Level sensor on master, 3 wire, thats not the Deactivator switch(2 wire)
Thanks for all the good info RonD. The only other thing I can think of would be to use a genuine Ford brake light switch, instead of an aftermarket switch, which is what I have used(Carquest). Although i am going to check the deactivator switch with an ohm meter first. I've never used an ohm meter before. How is the test done? Do I have to unplug the switch to get to the switch contacts?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Set Meter to lowest OHM setting, usually 200, unless it just has one OHM setting

Touch the 2 probe tips together, should see 0 ohms, a direct connection
Separate the probes and should see 1 or N/C(no connection)

i.e. if you put 1 probe on battery negative and the other probe on any metal part in engine bay you should see 0 ohms, or close to 0, depends on the "scale" selected

OHMs, in this type of test are just used to test if things have a good connection, like a fuse, if its good 0 ohms between contacts

The Deactivator switches 2 terminals should be connected together with brake pedal up, so 0 ohms
And N/C with brake pedal pressed down

OHMs are also used to test devices like solenoids or light bulbs, things that have a Factory Specification, like 20-60ohms, or 3 to 6 ohms, N/C here would mean bad part, or higher ohms than spec as well

Last edited:

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Or some multimeters have a continuity tester. When the two leads touch it will beep, with the switch closed the meter should beep if the leads are on the switch contacts

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Don't use ohm setting on a live circuit (with power running thru the wires).

Ragnar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" Body lift
Tire Size
LT265/75R16 .... (31s)
After determining that the cruise deactivation switch was faulty, I replaced it with a new one today. Still no cruise control. I did test the plug in, prior to installing the new switch and there was power going to it. So I'm still thinking that the issue is with the new brake light switch that i replaced last week. By replacing that switch, the not being able to shift out of park issue I was having was rectified. But now the cruise isn't working. I'm just not sure where to go from here.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Long shot, but I don't see it mentioned: are your tail light bulbs stock incandescent types, or are they aftermarket, such as LED?

Ragnar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" Body lift
Tire Size
LT265/75R16 .... (31s)
Long shot, but I don't see it mentioned: are your tail light bulbs stock incandescent types, or are they aftermarket, such as LED?
Good question. When I bought this truck a year ago it had two LED lamps mounted on the bumper which are used as backup lamps only. The original lamps are incandesant brake, sinal and park lights. Attatched picture if of similar LEDs that are mounted on my bumper.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The brake pedal "sensor"(part of brake light switch) is 3 wire, 12v, ground, and out to devices
The out to "cruise" needs to be a ground or no cruise

ground---------sensor--(out)------------------------------cruise
12v-------------/

When brake pedal is pressed the sensor wire changes to 12v which disables cruise
But cruise can not be enabled until that wire is a ground again

So its not just a 12v on/off switch like brake light switch
It 12v or ground sensor

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals