• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

06 Ford ranger 3.0 rwd trans swap

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
In process of trying to swap trans out and can't get the new used one to mesh up properly. I can get a couple bolts started to kinda hold it but I can't get the lower housing bolts to pull it on the pins. It's almost like something is stopping it from pulling in. Things we've done already are pull the trans back down, see if anything was in the way, we checked the torque converter, even went as far as trying with the old torque converter in it to still no avail. Without a torque converter in it will pull right in to the pins and sit perfectly flush! I think this should tell me that its the torque converter doing it but it won't drop in any further and what are it's it's at there's a good almost 2 inch gap between the torque converter and the bellhousing "which I'm not sure but I read that's about where it should sit" . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm way better with engines than transmissions!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Must be a 2001-2008 3.0l 5R44E trans or it won't have correct sensors, ISS and OSS, just FYI

Pull off torque converter and check input shaft
Should be sticking out exactly 1" from the support tube, seen here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/sonnax-dev/uploads/mercury_image/image/1943/figure4__7_.jpg
Pic on left is correct, pic on right is wrong
These can be put in backwards, and shaft will stick out too far, input shaft just pulls out, it has no clip or pin holding it, but can be tight

When you put torque converter back on spin it while pushing it in, and it WILL slide in at least two more times sometimes three more, and it WILL hit the back of the bell housing, or be darn close, when its properly seated in trans

If its a used transmission there is the possibility that the front pump was already FUBARed from previous failed install, longshot but not a no shot

Last edited:

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ron I appreciate you man, I have posted on this forum many times mainly on trans problems but you have given me advice on everyone of those I'm pretty sure! Won't be able to check until Wednesday but I'm not gonna lie that's about the distance were off about a quarter inch. So I'm not familiar with transmissions at all I do engines, but that input shaft will just slide right in and out no keys to line up or anything?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, just slides in and out, has splines of course, they line up to drive gear inside, but there is no wider spline or gap that acts as an orientation

The input shaft splines are longer on one end than the other, shorter spline end goes INTO the transmission, longer splines into the torque converter

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I'll check that out tomorrow, once again I appreciate the advice an if you think of anything else feel free to post it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals