• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

09 ranger 2.3L noise in cold start

JimTheMad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hi folks! ,

I bought a brand new Ranger with an in line 4 cylinder. When the engine has had time to cool down, and I start it up again, I hear a strange ticking noise under the hood, like a clogged lifter or something similar. When I told my dealer about it, he said it should be a injector noise and that it's normal. Sometimes also when I start the vehicle, the engine takes 5 or 6 rotation before catching. I have never heard of such a thing, and I don't want to get mess up my new vehicle.

If you could please help me out, I would like a second opinion on what could be the matter with my Ranger. Thank you.

Last edited:

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
honestly, the duratecs are really noisy engines. I have heard the exact noise you just described but I just let my truck warm up and it goes away. I think that if there was a problem they would have noticed it when I brought it in for service.

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
honestly, the duratecs are really noisy engines. I have heard the exact noise you just described but I just let my truck warm up and it goes away. I think that if there was a problem they would have noticed it when I brought it in for service.
The duratecs are really noisey engines??????? I had an 09 before a drunken illegal immigrant ran into it.....no real noises from it and the 2010 that I replaced it with is quiet too.
I just make sure that I use the specified filter and oil viscosity. If you use a Fram or a Fram clone oil filter there is usually some start up noise because of their infamous leaky anti drainback valves.

Last edited:

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 07 has been noisy since the day i got it.. also takes a few cranks to start sometimes but lately i turn the key to run with out starting and wait a few secs b4 starting and it fires instantly. i think it jus takes a sec for the fuel to reach the injectors.. got 68k miles on it now with no major plrblems

njdriver02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
guys don't want to thread jack but real quick, my duratec starts without hesitation for the most part cold, but once it is warm it tends to hesitate when I crank it, i blip the gas and it starts up. What do you guys think the issue is.?..

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I just make sure that I use the specified filter and oil viscosity.
I have a 2003 2.3 that now has 69K miles on it. I know the noise you are talking about from other engines, but have never heard it from my 2.3. The last few weeks here have been below 10 degrees with the majority of the mornings being below zero.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My 2.3 Duratech is very quiet. But truck only got 600 miles on it. IDK if it occurs after breaking it in.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
my moms duratec tends to make a lil valve noise, but not too noticeable.
also if u fire up the key too fast it will need a few more cranks to start. its fine when i give a couple seconds when i put the key on

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals