• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

0w20 experiment

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I've decided to get a bit adventurous recently. I had Redline 0w30 in the 2.9L in my Bronco 2, but still had a bit of lifter tick on those below zero mornings. Still, it was much less than it was on cold mornings with 10w30. So apparently, for cold lifter tick, thinner is better.

I followed that thinking, and put in Redline 0w20 yesterday. I won't know about the cold lifter tick for a little while, since it's relatively warm for the next couple days (up around freezing for high temps.) It does, however, crank faster when cold, and it runs nice and quietly with it.

At the end of a 3000 mile oil change interval I'll send in for a used oil analysis to make sure the 0w20 isn't causing any undue wear on the motor.

(disclaimer)
I would not advise anyone with engines with lifter tick on a regular basis (other than startup for a couple seconds) to go with a thinnner oil. I think there's something else going on with those motors. I am starting out with a very quiet 2.9 in good condition and only doing this as an experiment.

(disclaimer 2)
While I used Redline, I am in no way tied to that brand. I'm sure any synthetic with an appropriate amount of ZDDP in it's additive package would work just as well, including ones advertised in the banner ads here.

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
It was -15F last night. I started it up this morning with the 0w20 in it. There was no lifter ticking, and the oil pump bypass didn't make any noise.

I would consider that a success.

Steiger Man

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I would agree, it sounds like a success.
Even though I have absolutley no experience with below 0 winters here. I know why and how thinner oil works in cold temperatures.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals