• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 Ford Ranger V6 2.8L 4x4 Starter Issue

ThatRanger00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I got a 1984 Ford Ranger V6 and when we tried to start it, the starter just makes this loud af grinding noise. the flywheel teeth are good and it has the right starter on it. the starter gear comes all the way out so I'm at a loss now. please help.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It probably needs shimmed.

I also had this happen on a 460. Turns out the flexplate was broke around the mounting bolts.

ThatRanger00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It probably needs shimmed.

I also had this happen on a 460. Turns out the flexplate was broke around the mounting bolts.
Alright, I will look into it. was this on a manual too or does it matter? Sorry, I am still learning quite a bit, I'm 15y/o so still have a lot to learn. but also how does shimming it work or I guess what I'm wondering also is how do you shim it?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Alright, I will look into it. was this on a manual too or does it matter? Sorry, I am still learning quite a bit, I'm 15y/o so still have a lot to learn. but also how does shimming it work or I guess what I'm wondering also is how do you shim it?

Heres a video that explains shimming.

No my 460 was bolted to an automatic but it doesnt matter.

Good luck and we'll be here to help lol.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Orielly can test it for free for you. I have had flywheels with good teeth on them but just one or two broken can cause issues.

ThatRanger00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Orielly can test it for free for you. I have had flywheels with good teeth on them but just one or two broken can cause issues.
sounds good. napa tested my starter and said it was good but you say they can test the flywheel or what

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
They can test starter for you. You will need to pull the starter and have someone to turn crankshaft bolt with a ratchet and do a full 360 degree inspection of flywheel.

ThatRanger00

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
They can test starter for you. You will need to pull the starter and have someone to turn crankshaft bolt with a ratchet and do a full 360 degree inspection of flywheel.
I will probably do that tonight. I got home from school last night, walked up to my grandpas and he goes, "Well I got bad news for you" I said "what is it" he said my fuel tank has a hole in it so we need a new one of those but somehow he said he got it pushed up against the flywheel as tight as he could and it starts now when we spray gas down the carb but it still grinds really bad while the engine is turning over before it starts. We are looking into the 10-tooth starter drive conversion if you guys know much about that or if that would help at all?

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have not heard of a 10-tooth starter conversion. I don't know if it applies to our generation of trucks, but Ford in the past has had separate starters for automatics and manual transmissions.

Part store starters and alternators usually are not rebuilt that well. Find a mom-and-pop shop that rebuilds starters and alternators, and they usually do a much better job.

When did this problem start? Did you replace the starter?

If the problem started with this same original starter, I would still look at my flywheel and make sure no broken teeth.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Out of curiosity, is your starter held to the bell housing with two bolts or through bolts with nuts?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Count the teeth on your current starter bendix gear. May have 9 or 10. The 10 tooth repair works for some people. If you already have a 10 tooth bendix, the problem is elsewhere.

Couple other things to check include the bolts - are they really loose in the holes, are the threads in the holes damaged, bolts the right length, have they been drilled through all the way? Lots of potential for damage there. Check the block plate between the engine & trans as well, the hole in that aligns the starter to the flywheel. If that's egged out, you will have trouble. If it appears to be misaligned with the transmission or starter mounting holes, you will have trouble.

IMO shimming the starter is not the fix. I've never had a Ford starter that needed to be shimmed although shims do exist... the problem is just worn out old junk and crappy rebuilt starters.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'll second that. Starter shims are a Chevy thing... Ford's tolerances are better. Never seen a shim on any Ford.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals