• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 Bronco II Window sweeps / beltline

jbldsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Now that she's running well I found a handful of donor vehicles to freshen up the interior. The latest (last?) improvement was window seals.
I got the rubbers after-market which fit really well and were easy to install. It's the window sweeps that have me stumped now.

Ford OEM p/n for a non-XLT (no vent windows) appear to be:

Left Outer E9TZ1021453A,
Right Outer E9TZ1021452A,

Left Inner E3TZ1021457A
Right Inner E3TZ1021456A

I purchased a set from Precision but found the clips don't line up (other than the first and last).
I called and spoke to Fairchild, pointing out that what Precision sent had 6 clips, but I have 7 slots in the door...and gave them the spacing measurements. Their direct replacement for the above p/n don't match.

This is a very old B2, so I did some homework on the XLT vs non-XLT. Seems the VIN won't help, and they sold the XLT with 'base' level trim, and a non-XLT could be customized to include XLT-level trim.
It seems the XLT version had door panels where the inner sweep was stapled, while non-XLT used clips. The sweeps I removed (broke away) were clipped both inner and outer.
Everywhere I've looked on-line for sweeps I see the same 6-clips with the wrong spacing. The Ford sticker is still on the driver's door, so it's not from a different vehicle.

Without asking anyone to remove their sweeps (seems to be a one-time install or remove the window to pop them out) - anyone have experience replacing their sweeps?

FWIW - Here are the measurements center-to-center:

| < 5" > | < 5 5/8" > | < 4 5/8" > | < 5 1/8" > | < 3" > | < 4 3/8" > |
(That's 7 clips)

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
We need to stop messing with the framework that the founding fathers created.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I did the window sweeps on my '84 Ranger 14 years ago, in 2009. I'm not aware of any parts differences in the doors between the Ranger and Bronco II.

My original sweeps had 7 clips, the new replacements (bought from LMC) had 6 clips, but the spacing was good so that the 6 clips on the new sweep lined up correctly with door slots. The omitted clip was like the second or third from the front, where's there's two spaced closer than the others. Even with one less clip at that point they fit fine and I had no issues installing them.

My Ranger is base or XL (not XLT), without the vent window and it has the partial vinyl door cards, not the full cloth door cards with stapled inner sweeps.

IM002158 DS.jpg

So I think one less clip would be OK, as long as the spacing is correct for those 6 that are there.

The best way I've found to remove the sweeps is to work inside the door, and get a dull 1" putty knife in between the sweep flange and the door flange (the two parts where the clips are), next to a clip at a time, and then pop it up by bumping the end of the putty knife with your hand. You'll be doing most this by "feel", but it's easiest and safest way to not scratch the paint or bend the sweeps.

Good luck!

jbldsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Robbie!
I'll try LMC. Now I just need to get them (or another) to get eyes on the product to measure the gaps. There's no shortage of sweeps for sale. I'm just curious now of I have the XLT or not.

Your experience with 6 clips is very helpful!

jbldsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
@RobbieD - Would you happen to have a part number from LMC? They don't seem to have sweeps for our Ranger/B2s any longer.
I'm especially curious to know the OEM p/n if possible. I'm striking out getting confirmations from on-line sources for even a 6-clip sweep with the right spacing for my doors. 😞

Looking at your picture, they are pretty evenly spaced...unlike what I received.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
@RobbieD - Would you happen to have a part number from LMC? They don't seem to have sweeps for our Ranger/B2s any longer.
I'm especially curious to know the OEM p/n if possible. I'm striking out getting confirmations from on-line sources for even a 6-clip sweep with the right spacing for my doors. 😞

Looking at your picture, they are pretty evenly spaced...unlike what I received.
Surprisingly, I found the receipt from RockAuto for the window sweeps, but unfortunately it doesn't list the maker or the vendor.

The receipt has " Part # 50-7554 Description: window anti-rattle kit 4-pc ". Cost (in 2009) was $49.95.

I haven't bought any window sweeps since then, so sorry, but I don't have any thoughts or advise on what's currently available.

These have held up really well in the 14 years they've been on my truck, and seemed comparable to OEM quality. I did find another pic showing an end and clip closer, in case it helps.

window sweep closeup.jpg

jbldsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
That part number didn't show under RockAuto, but I did a Google search and found it on LMC Truck's website!
(No idea why I couldn't find it searcing their site, but I just ordered the kit since your truck seems to match what I have.)

🤞

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
That part number didn't show under RockAuto, but I did a Google search and found it on LMC Truck's website!
(No idea why I couldn't find it searcing their site, but I just ordered the kit since your truck seems to match what I have.)

🤞
LMC is a great resource but sometimes finding the parts you want can be difficult.

jbldsdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
@RobbieD - You're a life saver!
Yesterday I installed those same windows sweeps and they fit perfectly.

Lesson learned?
The first set I ordered from RockAuto may have fit as well. I assumed the short rise belonged at the front-end of the door. (Having broken out the original, I had nothing to compare with)
Turns out it goes along the back of the door (90 degree angle, not the 45 degree angle) :rolleyes:

Your reference gave me the guidance I needed, and saved me a few dollars as well!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals