• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1986 Ford Ranger 2.3 4x4 Not getting fuel

ajdc671

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have an 86 2.3 ranger, i can get it running with starting fluid and runs good, but it won’t start without. I changed the in tank fuel pump. the inertia switch does not get power inside the cab, i tried jumping the obd1 fuel pump connection. i cant figure anything out and was hoping someone had an idea on where to check next

ajdc671

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I think it’s a fuel injector issue, i’ve gotten the fuel pumps to turn on and prime

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if the 1986 2.3 has fuel injection then there will be a high pressure pump along the frame rail about where your left foot is. I find the connection get loose under the rubber cover. Lightly squeeze the ends and see if the pump works. If not run power direct from battery to test. Replace if bad. Iirc there is two wires, one a ground and one is battery positive.
Edit; 86-88 in frame pumps are all the same, Ranger, f150, f350 in my personal experience. Doesn't matter engine size. So if your looking at the wrecker lots of choices, if you can find those years still.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

So it will start by adding fuel manually and stays running
"i can get it running with starting fluid and runs good"

Reads like both fuel pumps are working after engine RPMs are above 400
Under 400rpms the computer has fuel pumps off, except for 2 seconds with key on
Cranking speed is 200rpms, just FYI

The OBD1 connector's Fuel Pump Slot is a Ground
With key on, if you ground that slot the fuel pump relay should activate and fuel pumps should both come on full time, well until key is turned off

You can leave that ground jumper in place to see if engine starts

There is a Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) on the engine
It has the Return Fuel line and a Vacuum hose attached
The FPR is what holds the fuel pressure at 35psi engine running or above 15-20psi with key/engine off
You can remove the fuel line on the FPR, put a towel down under the FPR's open fuel port
Turn key on
NO FUEL should come out of FPR, not until pressure is above 43psi in the fuel rail
If fuel squirts out FPR is bad

Each time key is turned from off to on the computer runs fuel pumps for 2 seconds, that = about 10psi of fuel pressure added
IF(big if) the check valves in the fuel pumps AND the FPR can all hold pressure, then 2 or 3 key offs and ons should get 20-30psi pressure in the fuel rail, if not then fuel is leaking out somewhere
And if you don't see it or smell it then its leaking back to the gas tank

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals