• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 2.3 - Distributor Not Turning

Mr. Sharkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter gas, about to become 2.5 liter turbodiesel
Transmission
Manual
After spending most of the morning troubleshooting the miserable TFI module, coil, and associated wiring, I've come to the shocking revelation that my distributor is not turning !

Is there a quick and easy fix for this, or am I looking at a deep, internal repair? Going out next to pull the distributor and see what that looks like underneath.

Maybe it's time for that Diesel Swap I've been putting off for so long?

Last edited:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
only way to tell what happened is pull the distributor. have you checked the timing belt?

Mr. Sharkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply, it didn't take long to see that the distributor is not at fault.

New question:

Are these interference engines?

And - is it really necessary to shred up the whole front of the engine to replace the timing belt (crankshaft S-belt pulley, upper radiator hose, thermostat cover, etc)?

Dang, I only got 90,000 miles out of that belt, they just don't make them like they used to.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
only way to tell what happened is pull the distributor. have you checked the timing belt?
Definitely check this out...it's actually the first thing you should check on a Ranger (I learned from a similar experience)...after the ignition module, a new cap and rotor, I found out my belt broke...not that I didn't need to spend $250 to fix a $36 belt...:)

Mr. Sharkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, looks like Mark and I posted at almost the same time.

Yes, I know, supposed to replace belt every 60K. Hey, the last one was still good at 90k!

In case the link in my first post didn't show, here's the reason I was putting off changing the belt, a project that I guess I was just a little too late in starting:

http://www.mrsharkey.com/forum/vwtp.php?t=432

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ah...OK...the engines are non-interference...but you will have to remove the plastic cover from the belt to change it...you shouldn't have to remove the rad or the alternator...I've done mine a few times and didn't have to do so, but it would make it a bit easier...the fan pulley can stay on too...even the fan...only thing is to get at that plastic cover remove anything that is obstructing it...

Nice find on the turbo 2.5...but did you check the specs on the horespower rating? I know there was a turbo Ranger engine, but it only got like 90 HP...the regular diesel was rated at something like 65 hp...so it would be a bump to that...

You might be able to adapt the turbo to your engine...even without forged pistons you should be able to get 5 lbs of boost...or a bit more...

Mr. Sharkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the timing belt cover off, had to remove the fan and pulley. Needed to kind of force the cover to get it around the upper radiator hose, I think that's going to have to come off when it's time to reassemble.

The crankshaft pulley will definitely have to come off, there's no way to get the belt past it. The bolt was ~really~ tight, but I got it out. Now the problem is that the pulley isn't being easy and simply sliding off the nose of the crank. None of my three pullers were able to budge it, either. There appears to be an internal connector in the center of the pulley that has a lip on it, looks to me that there is a specialized puller needed. Anyone know if this is available at NAPA, etc? It might come down to hauling the truck into town and having the service enter pull that pulley. If that happens, I'll have some interesting stories to relate about the trip in.

The problem with the belt was that I shaved about a dozen or so teeth off the face of the belt. (insert grumpy smiley here).

Rogue_Wulff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
The bottom pully should slide right off, it's the balancer/hub that's an issue to get off. You should be able use a standard harmonic balancer puller to get it off. If you don't have one, most any parts store should have one in their loaner/rental tool selection.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
sometimes they are really tough to get off, saw one sheer off when a guy was using a puller on it. try some heat or at least some pb blaster and let it sit for a while. Luckily i've never had a problem getting mine off. gotta love the desert!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals