• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Dodge Power Ram 150 Rear Axle?

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know what rear axles and gears they put in the 1987 Ram 150's? I know it was lighter duty than the 250's and up.

My fathers truck needs a replacement, if we can't figure out what it is we will have to either buy a set of front and rear axles that will bolt up, or junk the full size and fix the little Nissan instead.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep. Googled the 9 1/4 axle and it looks like an exact match.

Now.. anyone know how I can figure out what gears it has?

Last edited:

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, i'm thinking the 9 or the 10 and a qtr, not too sure, havent messed around on dodges for a while.

powerwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it will be a 8.25 or 9.25. and thay both will have rubber plugs:thefinger: thay stoped 8.75s in trucks in 75. gears depend on the engine size ether 3.23s or 3.55s or 3.90s ill bet you got 3.55s it should have a tag on the covers (if thay annt gon:annoyed:) if you dont have tags then remove the diff covers and read the numbers stamped in the ring gear....it will tell you. no mater wut you have if you are changin out i would go 9.25 **** that 8.25 trust me ive owned 4 powerwagons and i lost count on the dodges my dad has.

powerwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you need gears i can send you some you just pay shiping
(if you need 3.23 or 3.55 for 9.25) i can sell you shafts too if you need them :icon_thumby:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here's a picture of the axle. Best I could do with rain and 7pm sun.

As soon as we get the chance we're going to check the ring gear to see what we have.

If this is a 9.25 axle, what other vehicles came with them?

powerwagon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeap! its a big'en:icon_rofl: thats the 9.25. vans, trucks ,ramchargers,v8 dakodas,thay ran this rear all the way in to the late 90s very comon. this axel is so easy to put gears in and set back lash! i did one at 14 years of age thats how easy thay are. fide one out your ratio firs be for looking around most all 80s 4x4s had 3.55s. i got to pull a part and yards alote and buy up the good stuff and i find more 3.55s than any other ratio and limited slips are easy to come by. wach out for the boult patern! older pre 80s had 5 on 41/2 you can swap shafts out if you find a older 70s axle.and wach out for the 9.25 3/4 ton, 3" tube, 8lug...parts wont inerchange
(found out hard way:annoyed:)

Fraser

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yup, its a 9.25. ive heard gears and other stuff like lockers are on the expensive side. thats why im just gonna weld mine up and swap in a 14 bolt when it craps out [its in a mud truck]

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals