• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 2.9 rough idle, lots of smoke from exhaust.

matt12305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2WD 2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1988 ranger, it's got the 2.9l engine.
It has been sitting for probably 8-12 years. After replacing pretty much all of the fuel system parts (both fuel pumps, file filter, fuel tank, professional injector cleaning) I was able to get it to start. It does start up pretty quick, and it runs okay until it wakes up.
After it's warmed up, it doesn't idle right, the rpms fluctuate up and down. I replaced spark plugs, didn't help. Last time I worked on it, I replaced the map sensor..that seems to have made it worse. After replacing the map sensor, it ran better at first. But once it warmed up, it was so bad it couldn't even stay running, it would die unless I gave it gas. I suppose it could be a bad map sensor, I still have the old one but I haven't put it on to check.

Aside from it running poorly, it smokes like crazy. Its a thick white smoke coming from the exhaust. I'm not sure if this could be from cracked heads or maybe work out rings burning oil.

This car is not my main focus right now, I have two other cars to get on the road first. But I wanted to start doing some research so I can have ideas of what I need to look at. I hope for this to be my daily driver one day as it only has 77k miles.

Any ideas of what the problem(s) could be? Thanks

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
White smoke? No Es Bueno. Coolant/antifreeze. Cracked or warped head. Blown head gasket. Is that why it was parked for so long? I think that is your problem. Warms up and dumps coolant into at least one cylinder. Bummer.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Pull the heads and have them checked

matt12305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2WD 2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like I'll have to pull the heads and check them. Im not sure why it was parked so long actually. I got it for free from my grandpa's brother. I just finished replacing valves and head gaskets on a Subaru engine so I feel confident doing that.

Thanks for your input.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Sounds like I'll have to pull the heads and check them. Im not sure why it was parked so long actually. I got it for free from my grandpa's brother. I just finished replacing valves and head gaskets on a Subaru engine so I feel confident doing that.

Thanks for your input.
Free is good. Even if you gotta spend a few bucks getting it running youll be ahead.

The 2.9 is a great engine. Unfourtantly its heads are its really biggest weak point,

bcschief

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Might pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if fuel is leaking past the diaphragm. and if so, replace the fuel pressure regulator and see if it clears up.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@matt12305 ,
Nearly the exact same circumstances/situation happened to me with a 2.9l that sat for about the same number years.

My lower intake manifold gasket deteriorated due to dissimilar metal corrosion between the iron heads and the aluminum intake. With the gasket compromised, coolant was permitted in the engine valley and into the oil pan.

Some managed to get into the combustion chamber, causing the same discrepancies that you described ( misfires, irratic idle and smoke).

I'm not telling you that you have the same failure but I CAN TELL YOU HOW TO CHECK.

- If you drop your oil and find coolant, you may have also learned why.
- if you do not find coolant in your oil, change the oil... it's been sitting 8-12 years and would be prudent to change it anyway; you are out the cost of if an oil change to resolve your delema.

Also, if you have let it sit a few days, the oil will be on top, with any water on the very bottom, the water will come out first giving you an immediate indication.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals