• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 ford bronco 2 or project 88 and its problems.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
hmm. then refer to post #5

then bring data.

Project88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So i drove a 1991 ford ranger at work today and realized his clutch is much more firmer than mine. Is it because he has a different system compared to the 88 or is it the same parts and maybe i just need to bleed the system... I feel sick having written those words as much as I've bled this thing already. Because in my gut i know its gotta be right. I never let the fluid go below the hose at any point. And i bled it the way that its said to do so. But from the look of it when he installed the pilot bearing he did it from the back... Mines flush with the front. That's correct isn't it? I put mine in from the friction surface side. Or the side that faces outwards towards the transmission. But the guys 91 when i pressed down halfway it released. In my 88 it doesn't feel anything like that. Its got pressure and you can feel it against the spring then it just kinda drops off. But there's no leaks in the system.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The pilot bearing will have nothing to do with clutch firmness. All the pilot bearing does is center and support the front of the transmission input shaft and reduce friction when there is a difference between flywheel speed and input shaft speed.

Last edited:

Project88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay, then in that case its one of two things air still trapped in the line somewhere or slaves wrong type. But i got it all from the advance store so how they could get it wrong after giving them the license plate idk it all looks exactly the same as the original. So where would the air bubble be after bleeding it with a pnuematic bleeder.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Are you certain the other truck has the same clutch? Different clutches have different clamping pressures. If yours is working ok, then just drive it. Any little air left will migrate back up the line to the master reservoir anyway. It just takes some driving time for it to do it by itself.

Project88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you certain the other truck has the same clutch? Different clutches have different clamping pressures. If yours is working ok, then just drive it. Any little air left will migrate back up the line to the master reservoir anyway. It just takes some driving time for it to do it by itself.
Ah see thats just it its not working at all

Project88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ya see when i press down its like she just doesn't release is there a certain way the pressure plate is supposed to go on the fly wheel or something cause I've messed with this clutch since 2015 trying to get it to work.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Sorry I forgot what thread I was commenting on. Forgot yours wasn't working at all. The disc definitely has to go on a certain way, it's usually marked on it. I hate do overs, but it sounds like you are going to have to pull this back apart and go over it one more time. It doesn't have a inspection plate where you can peek up in there does it? If it did, you could get someone to work the clutch while you looked up in there with a flashlight and try to observe what is going on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals