• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger 4x4

Green Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 Ranger 4x4
Engine Size
2.8 and 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Had an auto from the factory and it finally went out. Darn a4ld. Anyway I have a 5 speed from a recent 91 model explorer and am gonna do a swap. I wanna find out what tranny this is for one. Got a few questions though. Can i reuse my original crossmember or will I have to find another one? Heres the parts that I have transmission, manual flywheel, New grade 8 bolts for flywheel, new slave cylinder. I need a clutch line, clutch kit,pedals,and master cylinder. Thats the most of it but what 5 speed is out of a 91 exploder 4.0? What about my drive shafts will the have to be lengthened or What?

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Had an auto from the factory and it finally went out. Darn a4ld. Anyway I have a 5 speed from a recent 91 model explorer and am gonna do a swap. I wanna find out what tranny this is for one. Got a few questions though. Can i reuse my original cross member or will I have to find another one? Here's the parts that I have transmission, manual flywheel, New grade 8 bolts for flywheel, new slave cylinder. I need a clutch line, clutch kit,pedals,and master cylinder. That's the most of it but what 5 speed is out of a 91 exploder 4.0? What about my drive shafts will the have to be lengthened or What?
- Can i reuse my original cross member or will I have to find another one?
Yes, your original cross member will work fine. You might however have to make the holes in the cross member larger and use washers on the bolts.

- Here's the parts that I have transmission, manual flywheel, New grade 8 bolts for flywheel, new slave cylinder.
You will HAVE to use a 4.0 flywheel, clutch, and MANUAL transmission starter. Your wiring will have to change as well from the factory starter solenoid by the battery. Go to a Ford dealership and get yourself the new flywheel and pressure plate bolts; they only cost about $12 for them all.

- That's the most of it but what 5 speed is out of a 91 exploder 4.0?
All 4.0's use the M50D-R1. The newer 4.0 SOHC's use the M50D-R1HD. The gear ratios are the same between them. The only difference is a few heavier internal parts.

- What about my drive shafts will the have to be lengthened or What?
Your drive shafts will NOT have to be lengthened or shortened. They will work in their present form as the A4LD and the M50D are the same lengths.

Green Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 Ranger 4x4
Engine Size
2.8 and 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Why use the 4.0 flywheel? I saved it from the explorer but since my truck has a 2.9 in it I thought I would use a 2.9 flywheel. The 4.0 flywheel is a good bit bigger and heavier though

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 4.0 flywheel will allow you to run the 4.0 clutch which is about 10x stronger than the 2.9 clutch. I don't think the 2.9 starter will hit the 2.9 flywheel inside the 4.0 trans.

The 2.9 manual flywheel is quite a bit heavier than the 2.9 auto flywheel. I don't think there is much difference in weight in the 2.9 and 4.0 flywheel.

My buddy is running a 4.0 clutch on his Bronco II 2.9 without any problems.

The one thing to remember is the M50D's first gear is a taller gear than a manual transmission for the 2.9. If you can handle that, then you will be fine. My buddy was getting about 16 mpg with the 2.9 and M50D.

Green Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 Ranger 4x4
Engine Size
2.8 and 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i need to clean my 4.0 flywheel and just get a 4.0 clutch. What about a starter use a 2.9 starter or a 4.0 starter. Man thanks for all the help. All is appreciated i promise. P.S. the grade 8 bolts come out of the 4.0.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
You'll need the 4.0 starter. You'll also have to run another positive cable to the starter (I believe). Look around, either in the Tech Library or search for '4.0 clutch swap'- all the info you need is on here.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need to a trigger wire from the stock solenoid; you can use the current battery wire. Move the stock starter wire to the battery side of the stock solenoid and then run the trigger wire from the starter side of the solenoid to the starter itself.

You will need the 4.0 starter with the 4.0 flywheel.

It will be cheaper to get a NEW 4.0 flywheel. Just make sure you get the 6 bolt flywheel.

Green Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 Ranger 4x4
Engine Size
2.8 and 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Can I just use the 2.9 starter instead? Cause it is a brand new Ford one that I just bought and put on there. I hope that it will work I dont wanna have to buy anoyher new starter.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will need the 4.0 starter with the 4.0 flywheel.
Did you read at all?

You MUST use a 4.0 flywheel and 4.0 starter with a 4.0 engine.

Green Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 Ranger 4x4
Engine Size
2.8 and 2.9
Transmission
Manual
But i meant to tell u I have a 2.9 in it. Thats why I was wanting to use the 2.9 flywheel, and starter. Since I have it already. Can u use a 4.0 clutch on a 2.9 motor and flywheel? I have laying around parts list. 2.9 flywheel and starter, 4.0 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. Tell me what i can use on my truck so I dont get confused. Look up in an earlier post it said that I had a 2.9 and asked why use a 4.0 flywheel on it. My truck 88 Ranger 2.9 a4ld and switching to manual.

Last edited:

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know you have a 2.9, but if you use the 4.0 transmission, then you must also use the 4.0 starter, clutch, and flywheel.

The 4.0 flywheel will bolt up to the 2.9 with OUT any modification. My buddy is using the 4.0 clutch in his '86 BII. Visit the tech library to see the how to on the swap and why you the 4.0 clutch is better than the 2.9 clutch.

Green Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 Ranger 4x4
Engine Size
2.8 and 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks got the auto out wallago and going to statrt on the manual swap tomorrow.

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I know you have a 2.9, but if you use the 4.0 transmission, then you must also use the 4.0 starter, clutch, and flywheel.

The 4.0 flywheel will bolt up to the 2.9 with OUT any modification. My buddy is using the 4.0 clutch in his '86 BII. Visit the tech library to see the how to on the swap and why you the 4.0 clutch is better than the 2.9 clutch.
No....you do not have to use the 4.0 starter/clutch/flywheel.

My '91 came from the factory with a 2.9/M5OD combo with a 2.9 clutch and the larger (not gear reduction) starter.

On the other hand, if he already has a 4.0 flywheel, I would STRONGLY recommend the upgrade to the 4.0 components. (I have done the swap myself to my '91 and love it).

But to say that he cannot use 2.9 components (if he chooses to buy them) with an M5OD is false, regardless of whether it came from a 2.9 or 4.0.
He can still use his existing starter and blockplate, and purchase a 2.9 clutch and flywheel. (if is more cost effective for him to do so).

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
But to say that he cannot use 2.9 components (if he chooses to buy them) with an M5OD is false, regardless of whether it came from a 2.9 or 4.0.
He can still use his existing starter and blockplate, and purchase a 2.9 clutch and flywheel. (if is more cost effective for him to do so).
The 2.9L flywheel HAS A SMALLER DIAMETER. The 4.0L transmission places the starter so it will engage with a 4.0L flywheel. So, HOW are you going to make this vehicle actually start with ANY 2.9L parts behind the crank?

2.9Ls and early 4.0Ls have the same bolt patterns between the block and bellhousing. Just how did you jump to the conclusion that this means other parts are interchangeable?

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 2.9L flywheel HAS A SMALLER DIAMETER. The 4.0L transmission places the starter so it will engage with a 4.0L flywheel. So, HOW are you going to make this vehicle actually start with ANY 2.9L parts behind the crank?

2.9Ls and early 4.0Ls have the same bolt patterns between the block and bellhousing. Just how did you jump to the conclusion that this means other parts are interchangeable?
I was wondering the same thing...:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals