• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 2.3 A4LD swap

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 89 Ford Ranger 2.3 with the A4LD I was wondering if their was any adapter plates to bolt in an AOD. My grandfather had it rebuilt like 4 times. Any help would be greatly apreacated. Thanks

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
only other option I know of is a C4 or whatever was used on Pintos and granadas and stuff...

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Ditto

What he said.:icon_welder:

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had found a site that had a canfield industries that has a 2.3 to 5.0 Adapter plate to bolt in any 5.0 trans I have read alot of your forms and some where I read the canfeild adapter plates are for manual trans that you have to a flexplate with bigger holes. does this sound right I have looked for the pinto's 2.3 C4 but can not find any. oh yea my trans shop says that the pinto's didn't have the C'4 in them. they just want me to rebuild the A4LD

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pinto's had C4s, but they were rare. If you can find a bell housing for one, the C4 will bolt right up, but good luck finding one. I looked into this a while back. The stall convertor is a problem. You actually have to use a stock convertor for a Pinto with a C4, which can be bought new, or you have to have machine work done to the back of your crank if you want to use a convertor for a 5.0. If you use a convertor for a 5.0, there are all kinds of options available off the shelf. You could really have a lot of fun. I am wondering if something can be done to a 5.0 convertor to make it work, without disassembling it. I can do machine work, but I can not disassemble convertors. There is a guy that reworks and sells Pinto convertors, but he is not cheap and will not sell them outright. You have to provide him a core. Jeffrey, Even if you could, I would not run an AOD with a 4cyl. They eat a lot of torque. Your truck will be a slug unless it has a turbo, and your gas mileage will drop significantly. If you have ever picked up an AOD, you know it is a beast. It looks more like something that belongs in a bus than a pickup. A c4 is strong, cheap to purchase as there are so many out there, and cheap and very easy to rebuild. It has been a long time since I have looked into this, but if anyone is interested I will track down what information I have relating to the specifics of what's needed for a complete c4/2.3 combination, and what options there are. I have not done it yet, but I think I know what I need to to get it done. I have bits of information I picked from various places all compiled somewhere, just got to find it. Better yet, maybe somebody here has done it and knows off the top of their head what is needed. If that be the case, I think there is enough interest in this to warrant putting together a complete write up for the tech library or something. One of these days, I'm going to stop talking about this and do it. Jeffrey, what has been rebuilt 4 times, the a4ld, or the AOD?

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Pinto station wagons

4 C4's are the best source from what Iv heard:icon_confused:Have you thought about a manual swap maybe?

Last edited:

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the A4LD was rebuilt 4 times. I had just thought that the AOD being stronger would nice and still have all 4 gears but it now sounds like it would just be a stupid Idea. another thought is will the bell housing form a C3 bolt to a C4 is this possible as for a M50d-R1 I have thought about but I would need to practice shifting off the line. PS We had to change the rear end a couple of years ago do to the fact the spider gears went out. we put the rear end of an 86 ranger with the 2.3 with the 5 speed. it has 308 diff the stock had the 410's

Last edited:

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
M50

bellhousing is part of the tranny case so youll have to get 1 for a 4 popper.I have a T5 out of a mustang with the bell housing from a 87 turbo t-bird "HYD Clutch" in my son's 87 2.3 ranger and it works GREAT! The 2.3 will not kill this tranny.Try to get one from a 2.3 stang as the gearing is diff on the 5.0. Check out the tranny thread in the tech lib.:icon_welder:

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks I'll go get a T5. as for the clutch what should I get. I don't have the money that my deceased grandfather had. I would like to get some power out of it with my tax return. such as cold air intake and exhaust system.

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks I'll go get a T5. as for the clutch what should I get. I don't have the money that my deceased grandfather had. I would like to get some power out of it with my tax return. such as cold air intake and exhaust system.
You should do some research and get a solid plan together before you start collecting parts, especially if you are on a budget. Chilsam definitely has some great advice there, though. I loved the T5 in my Mustang.

Last edited:

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Parts

Go on ebay to check prices I see where oreilly's has new flywheels for $55.99you'll need the clutch pedals from a donor vehicle "parts yard" grab the hoses fluid resovoir.I'd look on ebay or this site for a mid 90's shorty hedder and no converter and a freeier flowing muffler.Like upnsmoke said form a plan and stick to it do some research on here there is a TON of info on this site and ASK QUESTION'S may take abit to get an answer but people want you to do the work for yourself "learn more".You'll also need the yoke for the T5 and a special u joint next time im at oreillys ill get the part # 4u think it was like $16 ?? :icon_welder: You could also go to the "parts yard" and get EVERYTHING from a donor truck it WONT be a T5 though.

Last edited:

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok well I have alot of research all ready, but well keep reading. I'll have around about 2k to work with for the trans and air intake and exhaust system. the truck had sat at my uncle's for like 5yrs not mess with at all. I drug it home replaced the intire charging system. The Die hard start right up no hassiation. on an 1/8 of tank of gas that was 5years old. I have been start it once a week for the last three years, and letting it run. got brake line for all the way around sitting her waiting.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Good

I called oreillys about the u joint sumpn about their comp act up cause it was SNOWN???? think he just bn lazy i gotta go by tomorrow for some seafoam il ask m n person about it.

87Jeffrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
another part NO. I need is the bed mounts and rear cab mounts

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Precision is the brand name

I called oreillys about the u joint sumpn about their comp act up cause it was SNOWN???? think he just bn lazy i gotta go by tomorrow for some seafoam il ask m n person about it.
The part # for the u-joint is 353 to adapt the T5 yolk to the ranger driveshaft hope this helps!:icon_welder:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals