• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 2.9l vacuum connections

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yea but this isnt an alternator were talking about. And i checked everything before it went in
So im pretty confident the valves guides and seals are fine. It also doesnt smoke at all on start up and will ilde all day with nothing. Even if you blip the throttle a few times or hold rpm for a few seconds.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yea but this isnt an alternator were talking about. And i checked everything before it went in
So im pretty confident the valves guides and seals are fine. It also doesnt smoke at all on start up and will ilde all day with nothing. Even if you blip the throttle a few times or hold rpm for a few seconds.
Pull the plugs and let us know what you find,

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Any trouble codes?

I searched for "smoke on acceleration" and found this,

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
after very hard engine breaking. I also get a little external leaking after rigorous drives. ?
on an engine that only has 30k, why are you doing these things anyway, racing? using it for a getaway vehicle? taking the kids to school? haha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
after very hard engine breaking. I also get a little external leaking after rigorous drives. ?
on an engine that only has 30k, why are you doing these things anyway, racing? using it for a getaway vehicle? taking the kids to school? haha
Not sure i understand the question. Why do i drive my truck hard? Why do i do Hard engine braking?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That actually is not something there that I posted Cant :)

Haha, I've only ever even done hard engine braking unless my brakes gone out haha

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ahh, ok, I just read up to see how I got here, Someone else had posted that and I was in reply to them, not to you sir :)

Ok, I just read up farther, it was something you had written, post #3, and i was only joking about your remark, hard engine braking and rigorous drives :)

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Couple things to check, and do.

2.9l's hate eating oil. Despise it, in fact. Catch can the thing before it builds as much crust inside the intakes as rusty's

In order, I'd bet on residual oil scum/pcv BS as A 60% chance of being your cause, followed by rings as 20%. What was the reason for your head gaskets? Compression tests will show good with "meh" rings. When you're working the lungs hard is when blow by will occur. Makes sense to me.

Last time you ran a can of aerosol seafoam through your intake? The liquid won't do much for a 2.9. They LOVE the aerosol stuff, though. I run a catch can and water/methanol injection on mine. I still run a can of seafoam every other oil change, and a bottle of motor flush every time. 2.9s hate three things: heat, dirt, breathing oil. Fix those and you have a few million miles left in her.

No matter your cause, catch can will stop nearly all oil vapors coming into your intake. Just put it in a cold spot in the engine bay. Mine is over by the clutch reservoir now. Works much better then when it was on the intake.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
hahaha, i was truly only joking there haha. It's been a long time since I did any racing, and hardly ever even think about it anymore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Couple things to check, and do.

2.9l's hate eating oil. Despise it, in fact. Catch can the thing before it builds as much crust inside the intakes as rusty's

In order, I'd bet on residual oil scum/pcv BS as A 60% chance of being your cause, followed by rings as 20%. What was the reason for your head gaskets? Compression tests will show good with "meh" rings. When you're working the lungs hard is when blow by will occur. Makes sense to me.

Last time you ran a can of aerosol seafoam through your intake? The liquid won't do much for a 2.9. They LOVE the aerosol stuff, though. I run a catch can and water/methanol injection on mine. I still run a can of seafoam every other oil change, and a bottle of motor flush every time. 2.9s hate three things: heat, dirt, breathing oil. Fix those and you have a few million miles left in her.

No matter your cause, catch can will stop nearly all oil vapors coming into your intake. Just put it in a cold spot in the engine bay. Mine is over by the clutch reservoir now. Works much better then when it was on the intake.
I couldnt tell where my issue was coming from so i did head gaskets and valve seals at the same time. Also was easier to do the valves with the head off. Didnt seem to do anything for me.

I was planning to do a catch can to see what i would get. Ill report back on this and plugs when i get a day under the hood.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would have checked for a leaky injector before going to all that trouble.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Installed the catch can, but have yo pick up a new peice of vacuum tube, my old one isnt long enough.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals