• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 rear brakes not working?

bryanb

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
See: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96395 ...resurrecting an old topic.

Finally got around to bypassing the RABS valve. spliced a line in place of the RABS valve, but left the electrical connecter plugged in. Bled the rear brakes.

Had the rear end jacked up, and hit the brakes. Didn't seem to make much difference. The real test would be to see how it performs this winter....

I guess Im wondering how to tell if there is enough pressure at the rears, and they are activating correctly when I hit the pedal. Right now, if I hold the brakes quite hard, probably much more than it'd make to stop on dry pavement normally, the back wheels will stop.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Maybe try adjusting them a bit more with the star wheel...they should provide about 30% of your braking power when working properly, but the fronts do most of the work.

You could also do the backup auto adjust. Find an open stretch of road and stop, back up at about 30 mph and hammer on the brakes. This will do the same as adjusting the star wheel manually.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont be a sissy, i do it at a buck forty!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
LOL...my truck won't go that fast forward...

bryanb

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll drive it around a bit, and backup to adjust.

Both drums were fitting very closely to the shoes, which is hasn't done in the past, when the adjusters were known to not work. I mean, the adjusters were known to not work in the past, and the drums were fitting real loosly over the shoes. Now they are quite 'tight', the shoes are right there, where they 'should be' (I suppose), and it takes a fair amount of wiggling to get them to come off.

I did put it in drive while the rear was on jack stands, and I had to hit the brakes awful hard to get the back passenger side to lock. Went in reverse a couple times, thinking it'd do the same as backing up to adjust them, and the right side, the open half of the diff, seemed to be a little better, but still not impressive.... The driver's side seem to stop fairly quickly.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
When I first installed new brake lines etc on my truck I had a heck of a time getting the rear brakes to work properly. The fronts were a bit spotty too and then I did a thorough check on all the joints I put in when bleeding didn't bring up the brake pressure.

Turned out that I had a few weak joints that were leaking...this caused the bleeding to be ineffective and no amount of adjustment would have helped. Once I sealed all the joints they came up perfect after a quick bleed. Have been driving it now for two years without having to adjust the brakes once.

So...maybe double check any joints you may have put in to bypass the RABS...if adjusting doesn't help, that is.

bryanb

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When I first installed new brake lines etc on my truck I had a heck of a time getting the rear brakes to work properly. The fronts were a bit spotty too and then I did a thorough check on all the joints I put in when bleeding didn't bring up the brake pressure.

Turned out that I had a few weak joints that were leaking...this caused the bleeding to be ineffective and no amount of adjustment would have helped. Once I sealed all the joints they came up perfect after a quick bleed. Have been driving it now for two years without having to adjust the brakes once.

So...maybe double check any joints you may have put in to bypass the RABS...if adjusting doesn't help, that is.
When I was bleeding, I obviously did the rear passenger wheel first, and it had a little air in it, at first, and a few cycles of pushing the brake pedal, and loosening the bleed screw, a couple BIG bubbles. and that was it. The drivers side didn't really have any air in it. My friend that was helping musta went through 20 or so cycles looking for air. I did dump more brake fluid in the master cylinder a couple times too....

I made little plugs to put over the cut lines out of some fish tank air tubing, so they weren't hanging out draining fluid, and getting air in, while I wasn't actively connecting two lines together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals