• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Explorer possibly bad trans pan gasket

Apinkston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,
A family member of mine has a 92 explorer with the A4LD transmission that has been sitting for a few years. I have been told the only issue with it was the trans pan gasket. Supposedly it would blow when the pressure builds up enough, dump fluid, then reseals when pressure drops enough. Doesn’t sound right to me and was hoping to get some input on the matter.
Thanks

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Hello,
A family member of mine has a 92 explorer with the A4LD transmission that has been sitting for a few years. I have been told the only issue with it was the trans pan gasket. Supposedly it would blow when the pressure builds up enough, dump fluid, then reseals when pressure drops enough. Doesn’t sound right to me and was hoping to get some input on the matter.
Thanks
Sounds more like it’s blowing out of the vent tube.

Apinkston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds more like it’s blowing out of the vent tube.
I don’t know too much about cars, so is that a bigger problem for me to fix?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah that or the front seal... Also common. That requires pulling the transmission. Vent tube can be serviced fairly easily, it's kinda squeezed in there in a weird spot though.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the trans is over heating. Make sure the trans cooler is working properly. Its in front of the radiator. Looks like a small radiator

Apinkston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the trans is over heating. Make sure the trans cooler is working properly. Its in front of the radiator. Looks like a small radiator
Is there a way I can tell the difference between the trans cooler or the vent tube being the issue on this or is it more guess and check

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The vent tube will be higher above the trans. Look for atf dripping out of it.

Run the car until it starts to leaks and see how hot the fluid is.

You can flush the cooler for good measure.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
07/86
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have a laser temp gun. You can check between engine and transmission. They should be close in temp. But you'll have to drive it around or wait a while til the trans gets to temp

Apinkston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a laser temp gun. You can check between engine and transmission. They should be close in temp. But you'll have to drive it around or wait a while til the trans gets to temp
The front tires are shot and it’s registered nonop at the moment so I can’t drive it. Will try just letting it sit running for a while to find the leaks

Apinkston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
I was able to get some work done on the car recently. Two new front tires and a new belt. I got the car out of the driveway and into the street to let it idle for a couple of hours. After 2 hours of idle, I didn't see any fluid leaks or signs of overheating. Took it around the block a few times and no issues there. I did however run into a worrisome issue getting it back into the driveway. The car backed into the driveway just fine, but when I put it in park and shut it off, the car started slipping forward. There were thuds and clunks that sounded like it was from the wheels which leads me to believe it's the brakes. Before I was able to get the car moving I did have to disable the drums in the rear passenger wheel as they had seized up. Driving around, the brakes felt weak and almost not there. I did test the parking brake on the street by letting the car run and trying to push it while in park, no problems with that. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am not going back to do any work until tomorrow.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
How exactly did you disable the rear brakes? That could be why your brakes feel weak..... and the parking brake on your Explorer basically just engages the rear brakes, if you have disabled them then your brake "test" really told you nothing.

Idling is not going to generate much heat in the transmission. You need to put it under a pretty good load to leak test it... go out and drive it up some steep hills or something like that but please fix the brake issues before you do much more!

As far as it slipping forward in park - how far did it roll? Are we talking inches or feet or ...? It is somewhat normal for any vehicle with an automatic transmission to roll a little bit when you put it in park, before the parking pawl catches...especially if it's parked on a sloped surface... but I am talking maybe an inch or two at most.

Apinkston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Explorer
Transmission
Automatic
The rear passenger brakes had siezed up and I was not looking to properly free it up since I planned on replacing the brakes anyway. I disconnected the hardware for that wheel and slapped the old drum back on. New shoes, drums, and hardware are already ordered. When it slipped out of the driveway, it was by feet. When I replace the brakes I will try again. At the moment I’m waiting on rotors for the front and hardware for the rear

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
OK... I am guessing that your weak brakes are from the wheel cylinder on that corner pushing on nothing. Do not drive it like that, in fact don't even push the brakes until you have fixed it or you will blow the wheel cylinder out and have fluid everywhere and NO brakes. I am shocked that hasn't happened already.

Interesting that it rolled that much. Without seeing it, I would guess that perhaps the shifter cable is not adjusted correctly and it didn't go into park completely, or the parking pawl was stuck, or broken. Keep us posted on that, maybe it was just sticking from years of sitting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals