• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Ranger w/5.0L swap, OEM wiring harness help

JER-BEAR-ID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fuckin Ran
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everybody,
I'm new to posting on these forums, so if this is in the wrong spot or something, I apologize in advance... Anyhow, I came across a 92 ranger someone had swapped in a 5.0L out of a 1993 foxbody... They put a carburetor on it so I won't have to worry bout wiring the efi... But the truck has electric windows and door locks on it and to be honest it would be nice to make everything work, ex. Wipers, lights, locks, windows, heater and eventually even the a/c and cruise control... I'll worry about the last 2 later though... Whoever had the truck before me ripped out most all of the wiring under the hood... the main plug in the firewall is still there and I came across another ranger a guy was parting out and purchased the pigtail that goes under the hood... with all that being said, I guess I'm looking for a diagram or schematic of what each of the 50+ wires goes to so I can try and hook up what I feel to be necessary to run and drive comfortably.... Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks in advance,
Bear
P.s.
Oh and by the way it's 4×4 and I'm pretty sure it has a ford AOD Trans and the factory ranger tcase....

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The ranger you took the wiring out of. What year was it?

The engine is running correct? All it needs is one key on hot wire to the ignition system. By the way, when they changed it over to carb, what ignition system did they use during the swap?

JER-BEAR-ID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fuckin Ran
Transmission
Automatic
If I remember correctly it was a '92 Ranger, that the harness came out of... Both trucks had 4.0L's from the factory... The 5.0L seems to run pretty good, all of the gaskets are new and the plugs were barely threaded in the holes and the wires were all on the wrong spots, no where near the 5.0L or the older 302 firing order, I'm pretty sure I'm the first one to hear it run since it was rebuilt... I'll take a few pictures of it this afternoon and post them... I'm not 100% sure on the brand of distributor... They didn't put a msd box or anything like that in there...

JER-BEAR-ID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fuckin Ran
Transmission
Automatic
I know it won't take much to make it run but I'd like to make the power windows and locks work along with the heater, wipers, guages, headlights and tail lights... I'm gonna try and make it a daily for my ol'lady...

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Looks like it has a aftermarket 1 wire HEI distributor on it. A hybrid of GM style on top, and the bottom machined to fit the Ford. They work well.

This diagram has the fuel gauge wire colors, the starter and ignition switch. Most of these stuff in this diagram you will not need.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here are the lights, heater controls, electric locks, electric windows, etc.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here are some power distribution diagrams.

Attachments

JER-BEAR-ID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fuckin Ran
Transmission
Automatic
Wow! Thank you sir! You are a bad ass!!!! And very much appreciated!!! Now, I have to stop procrastinating on the wiring and just get it did! I've been dreading this part since we bought the truck about a year ago... hahaha, but for $900 I couldn't pass it up! Thank you again! I've been trying to find these for a couple of days, not solid but looking here and there...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals