• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 4.0...odd idle behavior w/ check engine light

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1994 4.0L manual 4WD that has a weird issue at idle.

When I let off the gas, RPM will often drop very low (below 500 RPM on the tach, almost to "0" at times), sometimes almost to the point of stalling. The truck never does stall, and seems to smooth out and idle normally or almost normally after anywhere from a second to 15+ seconds. It's not just a bad reading on the tach, RPM actually is dropping very low. The lights dim and the engine stumbles. If I accelerate before it has a chance to smooth out, it has difficulty and stumbles, but clears up quickly when it gets above 500 RPM.

Above 500 RPM, the truck runs perfect. Smooth as can be and plenty of power, no problems at all. This only happens as I am coming to a stop. Clutch in or out doesn't seem to make a difference. Brakes don't make a difference. It's letting off the gas that causes the problem.

The check engine light does usually come on when this happens. I am getting codes 212 and 232, for loss of ignition diagnostic monitor/SPOUT circuit grounded and EDIS coil 1, 2, 3, or 4 circuit fault. No other codes. The check engine light only comes on when the issue is occurring, and turns off as soon as the RPM stabilizes, so it seems to be directly related and not a secondary issue. I'm used to ignition issues being worse at higher engine speeds than at idle, but that's the only thing the computer is pointing to.

Plugs are recent Autolites, and I wouldn't think this would be a plug issue. Wires are older aftermarket, but I didn't see any issues when I did the plugs. The coil was replaced at some point before I got the truck in April of this year with an aftermarket one, and the connector for it was also replaced. No ignition issues prior to this.

The issue first showed up a little over a week ago, after it rained. At the time, I just assumed idle issue = throw an IAC valve at it. It acted up again after that briefly, but cleared up and was fine the couple of times I drove it after that on Sunday, probably 40-50 miles. It rained again this week while the truck was parked (I usually drive my 2002), but was pretty much fine when I drove it Thursday night. It had the low idle one time, but was fine for the other 20 or so miles I drove it. It sat Friday and Saturday, then acted up all day today, which I wasn't really expecting given how it drove on Thursday.

It got too dark out to do any further diagnosis, but any ideas of what I might be up against? I'm thinking maybe the ignition control module is taking a dump? I haven't looked at it to see if it's original. There is a small capacitor looking thing next to the coil that is definitely original. Could that be related to this? Maybe a grounding issue somewhere?

As mentioned, IAC valve is new and symptoms haven't really changed, they have just been intermittent, but much worse today. Plugs are newer Autolite platinums, wires are older but good. A/F is good. MAF is clean. Air intake duct work is good, throttle body is clean. No idea when the fuel filter was last changed, but this doesn't seem fuel related. The engine runs great aside from the RPM drop when coming to a stop.

Any ideas are appreciated. I think at this point my next step is to take the ignition control module out and get it tested.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you, perhaps, have shitty aftermarket battery terminals installed?

I cleaned my MAF, IAT, and threw an IAC at mine...turned out to be a shitty aftermarket battery terminal...ground terminal was cracked cause all those wires...

Haven't tried to fire both rear's up, but she's running like a scalded dog now...Computered cars like to be grounded...wish there weren't 4 wires running to the ground terminal, but...guess we have to make the best of it. ;)

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hope those Autolites are double plats. ;)

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
It ended up being a bad connection at the crank sensor. The truck has seen a lot of mud and this probably isn't the last connection that will need to be cleaned out, but it's running good again now. I need to replace the gasket inside the connector...it is done for. I will probably buy a connector from Napa and pull the gasket out of it.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the follow up and solution!

Cleaning connections on older vehicles is always a good idea. :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals