• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Grand Marquis shifting issue

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried registering at crownvic.net to post this question...but the clowns there wont even approve my account and its been 2 days. I figured i would post in a good forum. I am a ranger guy but my mom's 1994 grand marq. is dying and she has my ranger so i want to resolve this asap and get the truck back.

Accelerating on the on ramp, shifts fine through the gears till it gets to OD....then bucks VIOLENTLY and loses all power.....drops back to 3rd...acclerates fine..then repeats issue.

I realize these cars commonly misfire on OD under load due to plug wires, EGR gunk, coil packs...etc. Plug wires are new, i just cleaned the EGR gunk out...the only think i cant test is the coil packs.......but i am convinced this is a transmission issue....its too violent for a misfire.

I cannot find for the life of me any info on any shift control solenoids or anything to do with the AODE transmission. Personally i hate automatics and have never tried to figure them out. Does anyone have any information or suggestions on what i could test without dropping the tranny? If i have to drop the tranny shes getting a new car....this thing is worth 500 bucks if that. Milage is 180k....tranny was rebuilt at around 110k.

sbeck2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
grand marquis

Those trannys were real fussy about changing fluid. I have seen people replace plugs, wires ect and all it was is dirty trans fluid.

TomJenks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like OD crapping out on ya. The fluid shouldn't be that bad with 70k on the rebuild, unless it's been drove hard. What does the fluid look like, btw? If it's burnt, forget it. Its done. Part it out.

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its got a slight red tint still but it seems more brown.....has an odd odor to it as well.......

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
change the fluid, and the filter, while you have the pan off see if it has a OD control solenoid, it will be on the bottom of the valve body with three wires hanging off of it,change that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals