• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 Ranger: Theft and Dome Lights On When Truck is Locked

sluhbmet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure, but I think my 95 Ranger XLT with factory anti-theft system might have a problem. The theft light on the dash comes on and stays on "solid" when I exit the truck and lock the doors using the factory remote. I have never paid attention to know if this is normal for the theft light or not, but I noticed it when my interior dome light kept staying on after I would get home at night and lock the doors before going in the house. If I get in the truck, close the doors and turn the key to the "on" position or start it up, the theft light and dome light both go off and it operates normally. Could there be some kind of sensor/switch stuck open or a defective module in the anti-theft circuit causing this?

Questions:
1) On my year Ranger, is the "theft" light supposed to stay on solid when the truck is locked or is it supposed to flash periodically. I though I read somewhere that Ford has a couple different versions of the "Anti-Theft" systems.

2) What switches/sensors make up the anti-theft system on this truck?

3) Does anyone have any service manual information on the anti-theft system? My Haynes manual has nothing on it...

4) Other problems that might cause these symptoms?

sluhbmet

Last edited:

Alex FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my friends 1998 ranger did this. does the door open light stay on? his was the door closed switch. or whatever its called.

sluhbmet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey thanks for the reply. I've had the drivers side switch in the door latch stick before. It caused the dinging door chime and dome light to stick on while driving down the road (but never affected the theft light). The problem I have now is somewhat different. The dome light and theft light stay on when I lock the truck to go in the house at night. But when I get in and turn the ignition switch to the "on" position or start the truck the theft and dome light go out and no door chime sound is ever present when the door is closed with this problem. I'm scratching my head on this one. I do remember that each of my door latches contain two switches, but I don't know what purpose the other switch serves in each latch (I know each latch has one door ajar switch). Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

sluhbmet

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals