• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 Gauge cluster light bulbs keep going loose

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello, The gauge cluster bulbs on my 1996 XLT keep going loose. I know for a fact they are not burning out, because I have replaced the bulbs and inspected them afterward, But it seems every time I change all the bulbs and reinstall the gauge cluster, after a little while a bulb goes "out". I changed the bulb sockets with some new ebay ones and it still does the same thing. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I also ordered a bunch of LED replacement bulbs, but they illuminate the gauge cluster unevenly so I decided not to use them.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
A pencil eraser is good for shining up the contact pads on the cluster circuit board. And then taking the bulb and pulling it in and out of the socket about 5 times usually fixes for me for several years. If you keep having a chronic problem, you might have to get some of that clear grease and put on the bulbs and the sockets after you clean them up really good.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^^

LED bulbs do have a + and - side unlike incandescent bulbs which can be installed either way
So after installing LED bulbs test that all come on, if a few don't then reverse the bulbs in the socket and reinstall

What part is coming loose?
The socket to cluster or the bulb in the socket?

There are 2 wires that each power 3 bulbs, so if you are losing 3 bulbs at once then check the wires from the dimmer on the cluster connector

The 6 Bulbs are at bottom of diagram, its shows which 2 wires power them, they share a common ground, 1 wire

1996 thru 2003 clusters are interchangeable, with or without tachometer, wire is there for tach on all Rangers
If it comes to that :)

Attachments

Last edited:

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
+1 ^^^^

LED bulbs do have a + and - side unlike incandescent bulbs which can be installed either way
So after installing LED bulbs test that all come on, if a few don't then reverse the bulbs in the socket and reinstall

What part is coming loose?
The socket to cluster or the bulb in the socket?

There are 2 wires that each power 3 bulbs, so if you are losing 3 bulbs at once then check the wires from the dimmer on the cluster connector

The 6 Bulbs are at bottom of diagram, its shows which 2 wires power them, they share a common ground, 1 wire

1996 thru 2003 clusters are interchangeable, with or without tachometer, wire is there for tach on all Rangers
If it comes to that :)
I bet I put the LEDs in backward
so there is no 4x4 or manual specific cluster ? I do like having the indicator light to show if I am in 4 hi, etc

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1996 to 2003 clusters came with or without tachometer, and of course white or black face
All the indicator lens's are there just not wired if its not needed
i.e. 2WD or 4x4
OD on/off lens is there even with manual trans
Cruise Control lens as well

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1996 to 2003 clusters came with or without tachometer, and of course white or black face
All the indicator lens's are there just not wired if its not needed
i.e. 2WD or 4x4
OD on/off lens is there even with manual trans
Cruise Control lens as well
Good to know. I may grab another cluster from a 2003 when I run into one at the junkyard before they become more scarce just to have a good unit on hand with less age on it. The LEDs I installed dont really illuminate the cluster evenly, so I think the bulbs where better, but it was exctly like you said, I put the LEDs in backward so I reversed the polarity on any that werent lighting up and now they are good to go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals