• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 Leaf Spring Replacement

crowfather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have been doing work on the truck and have posted on other issues I've encountered so far. Today I realized that my passenger side leaf spring is broken. I have been struggling to find the correct spring load rating for a replacement. I found this article, but how do I determine if mine has a 1100 rating, 1250, or 1350? https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-ranger-explorer-bronco-rear-leaf-spring-specs/

For context I have a '96, standard cab, short bed.

Would the spring code on the door panel sticker tell me somehow?

I want to replace this, so matching the other side is necessary. Is this something that would be smart to do in pairs? The parts get expensive for an old truck; I don't want to sink too much into it.

Thanks

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I believe your door sticker has the springs on it, unless I'm mistaken, if so I'd try looking in the wrecking yards for one with the same spring number/letter, and also hope it wasn't totally abused

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It's going to be hard to "match" a nearly 3 decade old worn out leaf spring. I'll go as far to say impossible.

I would consider your end game and select a "pair" of springs that best match your goal.

Also... take a serious look at your spring hangers and shackles. They're known to rust through living in the rust belt.

It's gonna be best to just bite the bullet and do it right the first time.

crowfather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah you're probably right about that. I was checking the hangers out last night and they looked ok. I'll get a better look in the daylight sometime this week. The truck was a farm truck in Maryland before I owned it. Surprisingly low rust for the year, probably because of the lack of snow/salt in southern maryland. I don't think I'll need to do the hangers, not looking forward to grinding out those rivets if I do. Maybe I will just clean it up when the spring is off and use some rust converter or fluidfilm to be sure.

Edit: As for use, I am repairing what I can to make it a daily for a friend who otherwise has no vehicle. I don't want to send it to her without the peace of mind that I did everything I could, within reason, to make it as safe and as reliable as I can for a 28 year old truck. Doesn't need to have super stiff springs since she isn't going to use it for work.

Would spring load rating correlate with traction at any point? I am going to put sand in the back so she doesn't get loose either way, but if I am going to replace the springs then I want to make sure she isn't sliding around with something super stiff.

crowfather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So the door sticker says spring code is E B. B is the rears so I looked it up on this website:

The decoder says that B code for the rear springs corresponds to "B-5560 spring (F-150)". I wonder if this is accurate since it doesn't mention the ranger.

I am looking on rock auto, and searching the springs available for my config shows several options. Filtering further with "5560" doesn't narrow down the load rating at all. Searching by "5560B" leaves only 1100 lb load rating options. So I feel pretty confident that 1100 lbs is the correct load rating. There just doesn't seem to be a clear decoding of the sticker so I wanted a dummy check with people who are more experienced than I with these trucks.

That said, per my last message, I am concerned with traction and how spring load rating may affect that. Does anybody have insight in that direction? If a stiffer or softer spring will provide better traction I may go that route if I am going to replace both sides.

Thanks

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IMO, spring ratings have no influence on traction.
Use the lightest spring load rating if she isn't using the truck for truck like things, it will make the ride smoother.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How many leaves does it have in the pack?

This should tell you the rating.

2+1 would be the 1,100
3+1 would be 1,200

1300 is also a 3+1 but with thicker leaves.

Regardless I would replace both at the same time. I will ride weird with one old worn out leaf and one new one.

Since it's a single cab short bed, it's probably one of the lower two spring rates. If it just gets used as a beer runner/ bop around type jobber, I would go with the lightest springs. It'll ride nicer.

crowfather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Took a better look at all the components tonight. Spring bolts and hanger brackets look good so I will reuse them. I will replace the shackles along with the springs, since they are pretty rough looking. Gonna hit everything with penetrant daily until the parts get in. Think ahead for a change.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I think you're making the correct choice.

Straight forward job...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wouldn't recommend putting sand in the back unless it's in quality sand bags :)
Haha, I'm a cheapo, once after a snow and ice I got two bags of sand or gravel, not sure which, and when it was over,,,,,, I took em back :D

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Make sure the bags are tied down some how, wouldn't want one in the back of the head.
Once saw a truck with a false plywood bottom. It was filled with sand.

crowfather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Is this a time I should use red thread locker? On the spring bolts, the shackle bolts etc? I read somewhere that you should retorque everything after the first 20 miles of driving due to settling of components. Then retorque daily until they don't need added torque.

Good idea with securing the bags. I can get tube sand that is meant for water breaks for $5 for 70lbs. I think the tubes are ok to handle water.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think you're making the correct choice.

Straight forward job...
Might be a straight forward job, but on trucks I've done, the bolts at the spring ends are always so rusted into the bushings that I have to cut the bolts (sawzall) and replace them.

Interesting - the F150 springs are same 25" (front) 31" (rear) length and 2-1/2" width as Ranger springs. 🤔 Don't know if the bolt hole in the bushing is same, but they might be same part. Which leads to other ideas. (HD F-150s have same seriously heavier springs...)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I did say straight forward... not easy.

Spring eye bolts... shackle bolts... hanger bolts all use pinch type lock nuts. I put anti seize on the shoulder portion of those... no lock tite. Once torqued... you could paint mark them for a quick visual inspection point. I never retorqued those... no loctite.

U-bolt nuts are the same... I typically check torque after 100 miles give or take. No anti seize or loctite. I would just ensure there is about the same amount threads above the nut as the thickness of the nut when tightened.

Opinions will vary... but I feel the most important part is using the correct fasteners in the first place.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals