• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 2.3 ac compressor cycles every few seconds...

Goobersbro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought a 1997 2wd 2.3. Noticed at idle after doing a tune up on the truck in the garage that the ac compressor likes to cycle quite a bit. Did some research and I find this is rarely common but in all my research I couldn't find if it was normal.

Some guys say theirs have done this since brand new. I can freeze myself out of the truck the ac works so good and the heater also works excellent.

It cycles rather I have it on defrost or ac. If I have it off it obviously doesn't cycle. It also only seems to cycle at idle not at speed.

Is this something I should be concerned about or is it just doing this because it's normal and it's winter. From what I read it kicks on and off due to a pressure switch just want to confirm this is normal.

Thanks guys and sorry if this had been covered. I searched but never found a definite answer just that most people seem to have this happen

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford did have an issue with the air gap on the A/C clutch.
Google: how to shim ford a/c clutch

This would cause cycling on and off

The A/C clutch works by supplying power to the field coil on the compressor, this makes it an electro-magnet which engages the compressor shaft and pulley.
The air gap between the shaft and pulley can get too big, causing the on and off again engagement.
At idle, electrical power going to field coil is 13.5volts, at higher RPM it can be slightly higher so increases the electro-magnet power of the field coil.

Gap should be no bigger than .04(.033 is ford spec), at .05/6 you can get the cycling.
The field coil should be tested as well, 4ohms is spec.

Good read here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141311

And it could also be normal for your model, lol, to prevent over heating in warm weather

Last edited:

Goobersbro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lol perfect well thanks for the link I will give that a read and check my resistance and gapping. Much appreciated Ron

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals