• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 Ranger 4x4 Splash, will a 1997 4.0 Explorer 4x4 Engine donor work?

Swurv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Greetings, I have a 1997 Ford Ranger 4x4 3.0 V6 that spun a bearing. It needs a donor engine and I'm looking to get it replaced and up and running. My 2 options are to get a crate from Jegs or Summit or take it out of my donor 1997 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 4x4. Will this work and convert easy or should I just go with the crate option? The condition of the Ranger requires some minor body work and a good undercoat. I'm trying to weigh out my options and would greatly appreciate any input and insight.

Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Easy............no.

1997 Ranger has a 3.0l computer so can't run a 4.0l engine

And the 4.0l engine won't bolt to the 3.0l transmission

You could swap over 4.0l engine/trans and mounts with the 4.0l computer and engine wiring harness, and probably the exhaust system as well

But getting close to same work as a V8 swap, not quite but close

IMO, you would be better off swapping out the 3.0l for another 3.0l, plug and play
Then look for a 4.0l Ranger(or B4000) with good body and bad engine and/or trans and use your donor to fix it

1997 Explorer was the first year for the 4.0l SOHC engines as an option, you need to see which you have, Rangers used 4.0l OHV from 1990-2000 then got the SOHC model in 2001 and up

These are different engines so use different computers but they used the same block so either will bolt up to a 4.0l transmission
4.0l SOHC will have "4.0l SOHC" stamped into top plastic cover on engine, easy to spot

Last edited:

Swurv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 3.0
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Easy............no.

You could swap over 4.0l engine/trans and mounts with the 4.0l computer and engine wiring harness, and probably the exhaust system as well

IMO, you would be better off swapping out the 3.0l for another 3.0l, plug and play
Then look for a 4.0l Ranger(or B4000) with good body and bad engine and/or trans and use your donor to fix it

1997 Explorer was the first year for the 4.0l SOHC engines as an option, you need to see which you have, Rangers used 4.0l OHV from 1990-2000 then got the SOHC model in 2001 and up

These are different engines so use different computers but they used the same block so either will bolt up to a 4.0l transmission
4.0l SOHC will have "4.0l SOHC" stamped into top plastic cover on engine, easy to spot
Thanks, for the info. I'll look into the plug and play option to get it going.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Easy............no.

Isnt one bellhouseing bolt different between the OHV 4.0 and SOHC? Not really allowing it to bolt up?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Isnt one bellhouseing bolt different between the OHV 4.0 and SOHC? Not really allowing it to bolt up?
No, Ford added an extra bolt hole on the SOHC block and also Bell housing but the other bolt holes all line up fine, so swap of transmissions between 4.0l OHV or SOHC has no issues, auto or manual

Side by side image here: https://therangerstation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/45-vs5r_bellhousing.jpg

On the right is the SOHC, has the extra bolt hole at top left
Left picture is the OHV

Arrow is pointed at the starter motor difference between 4R and 5R automatics

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals