• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998 ranger 4.0L

dockel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 ranger 4.0L.... Been having some real problems with her... Has a really bad miss in her. Changed everything known to man kind.. Really ready to give up and take it to a shop.
Here is my question.... I keep reading that in 98 they changed the 4.0L OHV to a 4.0L SOHC motor... Well the parts store keeps giving me SP-500 spark plugs which is for the OHV motor... And I didnt see a part number on the plug for the SOHC motor listed in the tech library.

Also I crossed referenced the VIN # off my truck to the spec page for the 4.0l in the library and my truck has code "x"... Which should mean that I have the OHV motor... WTH........ At this point I dont know what I have nor do I know what I need....

HELP

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
That's because you have an OHV engine!!!! Look on the cover to engine it reads 4.0 OHV not 4.0 SOHC.
Don't quote me on this but I believe 2001 was first year of the sohc engine. Explorers got them before rangers.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's because you have an OHV engine!!!! Look on the cover to engine it reads 4.0 OHV not 4.0 SOHC.
Don't quote me on this but I believe 2001 was first year of the sohc engine. Explorers got them before rangers.
Yup. Rangers didn't get the SOHC until 2001. I think they started putting them in the Explorers in '97 as an option.

dockel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you much guys.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals