• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) 1998 stalling wont idle

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
hello hopefully someone can help figure out whats going on with my 98 ranger xlt. two days ago during a snow/ ice storm we had my son moved my truck into my front garage to do some brake line work, replace upper control arms with ball joints and replace the lower steering bar for me. its slightly up hill to my garage so he was ragging on it pretty good try to get it up in the garage since its only 2wd . which it was running and idling fine during this. he did stall it a couple of times ( its a manual ) and had to jump start it cuz the battery was bad but he got it in there and it still was running and idling fine. the next day we went and got a new battery for it and a couple more part i needed for the brake lines. put the new battery in the truck and started it. to my shock and disbelieve it now will not idle just stalls. as long as you keep your foot on the gas it runs but as soon as let off to a idle it stalls. which in the 3 years ive owned it its always ran good and idled without a problem despite sitting for months at a time without being started or anything many times. so my son kept starting it, revving it and holding it at a higher rpm only to have stall as soon as you let off to idle he noticed the cat was glowing red hot which it shouldnt have been so the thought was a mouse had made a nest in the exhaust some where and with he ragging on it trying to get it into the garage it had plugged up the cat and thats why it wont idle and why the cat was glowing red hot. so yesterday we cut the cat off thinking it was the problem. nope it still is stalling at idle. so today my son thought it maybe the throttle positioning sensor had gone bad so i got a new one and again nope still stalling at idle. so with some more trial and error on my sons part he found out that if he unplugs all the oxygen sensor the truck will idle a couple of minutes before it stalls but if he plugs them back in it stalls immediately. so any thoughts or ideas on whats up with my truck or things to check or try to solve this??????? please and thank you

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Glowing catalyst is from misfire, no other possible cause, it's burning air and fuel after the cylinders, either something happened with one of the coil packs, the crank sensor or the cam sensor...

Kitcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Glowing catalyst is from misfire, no other possible cause, it's burning air and fuel after the cylinders, either something happened with one of the coil packs, the crank sensor or the cam sensor...
thank you for the info and your time. we will check and or replace all of those things.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals