• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1st generation Rangers considered classic/vintage?

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Guess it really depends on a variety of things. I originally fell in the Gen X category until they moved the line. I still identify as Gen X. Have a hard time accepting that the vehicles of my childhood are now “Classic” and “Antique” because they don’t seem that old to me. My real irritation anymore is that PA took away the reasons to get “Classic” or “Antique” plates for your vehicles. Classics now have to meet all of the “safety” stuff that regular plates have to (inspections and stuff), and you are limited to like 3k miles a year. Antiques now are daylight only and limited miles.
That sucks!

On the general topic, I can understand why all you younger folks don’t think of a 25 year old car or truck as an antique these days.

When I started driving late 60s/70s (driving vs legal driving), the cars were far from what we have now, and if you went back 25 years from those, (1940s, WW II stuff which was really 30s stuff), it was like driving a horse drawn wagon with a makeshift motor.

The cars they’ve made from the late 70s (after downsizing and if maintained) are all perfectly practical functional vehicles for use today, and a lot of the 80s and later doesn’t even look that much different since everything started to require aerodynamics.

My daily drivers are 87, 87, 88, and I’d still do anything and go anywhere I needed to with my 96 F250 or the 97 Road Ranger. The 78 is the only one I have to think twice about driving because it’s so huge (19’ 3”long, 6’ 4” wide), and it gets 7 miles a gallon on premium!

But hey, cars are all about the fantasy, living the dream, huh?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That sucks!

On the general topic, I can understand why all you younger folks don’t think of a 25 year old car or truck as an antique these days.

When I started driving late 60s/70s (driving vs legal driving), the cars were far from what we have now, and if you went back 25 years from those, (1940s, WW II stuff which was really 30s stuff), it was like driving a horse drawn wagon with a makeshift motor.

The cars they’ve made from the late 70s (after downsizing and if maintained) are all perfectly practical functional vehicles for use today, and a lot of the 80s and later doesn’t even look that much different since everything started to require aerodynamics.

My daily drivers are 87, 87, 88, and I’d still do anything and go anywhere I needed to with my 96 F250 or the 97 Road Ranger. The 78 is the only one I have to think twice about driving because it’s so huge (19’ 3”long, 6’ 4” wide), and it gets 7 miles a gallon on premium!

Yeah, if I want to be honest about things, as a kid approaching legal driving age, there were a few things I wanted...

I wanted a lifted Jeep Wrangler. I ended up with building a lifted Choptop Bronco II and I don’t regret the difference at all, the Choptop is frigging awesome when it’s running. I also wanted a V-8 mini-truck, specifically a Ranger. My 2000 green Ranger now fits that bill. The other thing that I wanted was dad’s 79 F-150… I don’t own that yet…

I have wanted an Early Bronco but prices on them are kinda steep and have been for a long time now. Someday hopefully I’ll have one, until then I’ll be patient. I have a couple of my dream vehicles so far. The rest can come with time.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That sucks!

Ill expand on that a bit...really anything from the late 60's and up is still pretty driveable if its maintained. By then power steering, front discs, power brakes, seatbelts, etc etc were all pretty standard.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This popped up in my inbox today...

Looks like 1955-1975 are the most sought after for collection.
Its an age thing, not a car thing.

My car club was originally a Model A club, 40 years later and there are exactly 0 Model A owners in the club. We might get 2-3 to show up at are 2-300 car car show.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Its an age thing, not a car thing.

My car club was originally a Model A club, 40 years later and there are exactly 0 Model A owners in the club. We might get 2-3 to show up at are 2-300 car car show.
Model A's are cool though.

Theres one guy that brings his to cruise ins around here. His grandpa bought it brand new, and its all original (except for the obvious stuff like tires) with a flathead in it. Its a attention getter.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Theres one guy that brings his to cruise ins around here. His grandpa bought it brand new, and its all original (except for the obvious stuff like tires) with a flathead in it. Its a attention getter.
My wife's freind has a Model A. IIRC , HIS grandad bought it new, also. He let us use it at our Wedding, which was at the Tallahassee Automobile Museum. We rode off in that instead of a Limo.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Not knocking them, just saying the guys that grew up with them and thought "I gotta get one like we used to have"... have aged out.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Not knocking them, just saying the guys that grew up with them and thought "I gotta get one like we used to have"... have aged out.
I agree with that.

Was just saying. There is one kid i talked to at a cruise in last year (hes probably 21 or 2) that is restoring a 48 or 49 F2. So maybe there is some hope to keep the really old stuff alive. Maybe.

Personally ive never had a ton of interest in things much older then the 60's...athough i wouldnt scoff at owning an old A. A T would be fun but even i would be nervous to drive that anywhere but around someones backyard.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Michigan is similar. They dont have a mileage limit but you can only drive to and from shows/cruise ins, and not in incliment weather.

How hard its enforced i have no idea.
They have us record the mileage on the vehicle when you register or renew, regardless of plate class here.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't know about what it's like in the US, but over here in Ontario, if you purchase a vehicle that's over 20 years old, it needs to be appraised by a dealer for tax and insurance purposes, as it's considered old enough to no longer adhere to standard value calculations.

If you want to insure it for a cheaper monthly, if the vehicle is 20-25+ years old, it can technically qualify for classic car rates.

All that is to say, by some definitions 3rd gen Rangers are now "classic cars".

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
They have us record the mileage on the vehicle when you register or renew, regardless of plate class here.
We dont do that.

What happens if the odometer is broke? My rangers been stuck on 46xxx for the last 4 yrs :ROFLMAO:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don't know about what it's like in the US, but over here in Ontario, if you purchase a vehicle that's over 20 years old, it needs to be appraised by a dealer for tax and insurance purposes, as it's considered old enough to no longer adhere to standard value calculations.

If you want to insure it for a cheaper monthly, if the vehicle is 20-25+ years old, it can technically qualify for classic car rates.

All that is to say, by some definitions 3rd gen Rangers are now "classic cars".
Not like that here, so far. Not sure if the whole COVID thing will end up being the catalyst for change though l I know my insurance was not at all happy when my 92 Ranger got totaled and they had to pay full book value because there was nothing to compare it to, lol. They’d be really upset if they realized that all of my stuff is low mileage for it’s age and that will happen anytime someone decides to smash into me now that truck values have gone through the roof…

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Maryland is starting to crack down on the "Historic" designation. We've got the 20 year and older designation so my 98 would qualify but I drive it to work and that's not allowed. I don't see any limit on mileage but use is restricted. I see several historic tagged vehicles every day taking advantage of the cheap insurance. I had a guy in front of me with historic plates on a Nissan Xterra get pulled over a few months back. MD got rid of the "Antique" designation a few years back. My LeMans is "Historic" and old enough that I only have to run plates on the back.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals