• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0l 2.3l Cam interchange

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking at doing a very small build up of my 2.0l when i do the rebuild. I know the 2.3l is supposed to just be a bored 2.0l but i want to double check and make sure the cams will swap over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9rc8vt4Zoc&feature=related
Does anybody have an idea of what cam profile this is (I think it is a dirt track cam, pretty agressive) I don't drive the truck very much so i think it would be fun to pull into car shows with the cam loping and pop the hood to see a 4banger. We also don't have emission testing.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Cam is pretty agressive which doesn't make for much fun driving on the street.Poor low end power,hard starts.If you haven't already,get a ranger roller cam from a 92-94 2.3 or go to esslingers and get a stage one roller.Take your 2.0 and get it bored for 40 over 2.3 pistons

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4b316 Have you had a 2.0 block overbored to take 2.3 pistons? I've always heard that the 2.0 block can't be overbored to take 2.3 pistons.

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah you are not supposed to bore them to take 2.3l pistons, this is just a truck that gets moved like 10 times a year. I understand all the problems that come with a larger profile cam (you won't tell me anything new), I drive foot to the floor anyway so i'm ok with it waking up on the higher end in exchange for lower bottom. Like i said this truck is mainly just a play truck that i am doing a full resto to the body then in a few years 4.6l or new 5.0l.

The main point of it is to get looks at car shows when i pop the hood.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
mb

Yeah you are not supposed to bore them to take 2.3l pistons, this is just a truck that gets moved like 10 times a year. I understand all the problems that come with a larger profile cam (you won't tell me anything new), I drive foot to the floor anyway so i'm ok with it waking up on the higher end in exchange for lower bottom. Like i said this truck is mainly just a play truck that i am doing a full resto to the body then in a few years 4.6l or new 5.0l.

The main point of it is to get looks at car shows when i pop the hood.
351 C! Bad to d bone!:icon_welder:

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I wanted Lincoln V12 Flathead, but those are a little hard to find. Then i was going to do a flathead V8 but somebody already did that in a broncoII. I figure a 4.6l will be a good all around motor, it has been done a couple of times but i like it as an option.

Whenever the 2.0l is pulled out something unique will be put in the engine bay, you can count on it. It will all depend on what i have cash wise at the time and what available. EcoBoost might be an option if prices come down a little.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Mercruiser 470

I wanted Lincoln V12 Flathead, but those are a little hard to find. Then i was going to do a flathead V8 but somebody already did that in a broncoII. I figure a 4.6l will be a good all around motor, it has been done a couple of times but i like it as an option.

Whenever the 2.0l is pulled out something unique will be put in the engine bay, you can count on it. It will all depend on what i have cash wise at the time and what available. EcoBoost might be an option if prices come down a little.
would be unique go to Ford Ranger Forums and check out my post on mercruiser 470 in the 4cyl section someone posted a link for swapping this boat 4 cyl into vehicles.Its half a 460 with an aluminum block think it has a chevy bolt pattern tho? I think it's the last post in that topic :icon_confused:think its www.jalopyjournal.com alot of info on what needs done one of these with a 429 SCJ head would b BAD!

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The 2.0 is just a under bored 2.3 block.Still has the same amount of material as the 2.3 to work with.By all means,if you only drive it 10 times a year,get a stage 5 from Esslingers,the spring and roller setup and the big valves,better yet,get a Offy intake with a 650 holley to take care of the fuel requirements and a thunder tube header,then you can really make them take a look at it.

DJ2.3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83/92/94
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
While you are at it make sure you mill the crap off the head. It will make it sound crisp if you got a header and exhaust on it. If you want to make it sound really lumpy advance the cam also.

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 2.0 is stock bottom end and head, but I have a delta 260 grind in mine with a weber, a header, and 2 1/4" exhaust with a hooker areochamber muffler and it lumps pretty good for what it is.
I sure get strange looks and have been asked why my truck sounds like that. I usually just say it needs a tune up.lol

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a Lunati cam that has very similar specs to Flamin' s and it definitely has a choppy idle, especially cold. I have a long tube header and no cat, which makes a significant difference in sound as well. People ask me about it often. I would not want any more cam than I have without some more compression. My head was milled a little and my motor is soft on the bottom end.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals