• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5l revving when clutch pressed

lindsay_elaine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My mom's boyfriend bought an '01 reg. cab a few weeks ago with a 2.5 and 5 speed and 215k on it. He has barely driven it since he got it (it's used mainly for running to the dump) so I drove it around today while running errands just to see what it's like in comparison to my '03 2.3. Four out of five times, when I pressed the clutch in, it would rev up to 3k and stay there for about 5 or 6 seconds, then drop back to idle. It did this all day, and towards the end of the day, it was revving up to 3500, dropping down below idle to the point of almost stalling, then going back to idle again. This kept happening without my foot being anywhere near the gas pedal. It revs up between shifts too but it's less noticeable than when you're coming to a stop with the truck revving itself. Any ideas? It's pretty annoying when you're sitting stopped at a crosswalk with your engine revving, makes ya look like a jerk, lol

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Fuel filter could do it, air filter could do it, pcv ( maybe ), vacuum leak....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals