• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 ? swap dilema

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
seems i have to pull my 2.8. needs rear main seal, oil pan gasket, and all the rest of them that can be gotten to easily without rebuilding the motor. it does run well now, gets me 21 mpg and cruises well on the freeway. as it's coming out, is now the time to replace it with a different motor? will the cost be about the same? if replacing it, which motor would be best. i'd love to be able to stick with an older, carb'd engine if possible. there is a 250 6 cyl for sale around here, but i'd have to come up with a different tranny and tc . any and all input and suggestions would be appreciated.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'd say replace what you have to. Not many options with your trans and a carb motor, at least that I can think of off the top of my head right now. Think if I was pulling it and started breaking a bunch of bolts that are going to be a pain in the butt, I would be tempted to go w/ a different combo at that point LOL. :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know about a 250 but as a general rule of thumb I6's don't fit well. I have seen 300 swaps and they are pretty ugly.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :icon_thumby:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You can put an I6 in a ranger, but seeing as its not a common swap, there not much info. on it so you will be in the dark for alot of it but if was able to do it, I would. But I dont think you will get 21 mpg out of one.

Since yours is 4wd, you will have to put a full size tranny and transfer case in and the transfer case my get in th way of the frame rail.

In the end there will be alot of custom work. It all depends on how dedicated you are to do it and how much $$$ you have to do it.

The easiest and cheapest way to go right now, pull the 2.8 and replace the seals.

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's what i was thinking, too, but just wanted to check out all the options.
would a later model 2.5 or 2.3 be worth swapping in? hp and torque are similar and i'm already geared for either of those. don't think my tranny would mate up though. i'm sure parts would be easier to get for them so, are they as reliable and would it be worth it?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You would have to get a different transmission, and wiring out the wazoo. 4cyl 4x4 trannys don't really grow on trees either.

If it is just a leaker that runs good I don't think you would be gaining much, because even on a late model engine I would sure want to change the seals and things before I put it in. And really, they are not all that expensive anyway, just a pain to do after you put the engine in the truck.

For the fullsize transmission on a I6, the transfer case isn't a big deal. It has been tackled at least once by every 4x4 V8 swap out there. My cheat is to use a V8 C5 tranny with a 83-84 RBV C5 tailhousing so I can use the original t-case... if a automatic was ok.

Last edited:

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, i'm convinced. this engine comes out and gets every seal and gasket i can find replaced on it. i'll also be getting rid of all the extra wiring and stuff the po left when he did the duraspark conversion.
thanks everyone for all the input. have a Happy Holiday!

jhammel85

Good luck man. I think you made the best descision. Keep that little beast goin!

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i come in a little late but i would pull the motor and buy a complete gasket set from advance, autozone, oriellys, etc.

also i would do a new oil pump, screen, and maybe a cam/lifter kit, and get the heads reworked while u are at it.

im having the same problem as u are, except im having valvetrain tick, even though i keep adjusting the valves. im also leaking oil from every fawkn gasket and seal besides the front crank, v/c's, and rear main. so i plan to pull the motor, do complete gasket set, cam/lifter kit, comp valve springs, and have the head ported and polished with some 2.9 valves. gonna do the oil pump and screen, and that will give me a chance to clean it up good and check out the bottom end. most people will say its a waste for a 2.8, and im not doing it for power. im doing it for reliability and to impove while im already torn apart. i dont really need to drop in my 347 motor right now, the 2.8 works find, im gonna fix whats broken with a few upgrades and drive it till she finnally craps out. then im gonna sell whats good and swap in the 347.

hope this helps just figured id recomend keep the 2.8 and if the funds are right, throw a few upgrades in

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
money is a little too tight this holiday season. i'll just get all the gaskets and seals done without going into the block for those upgrades, much as i'd love too! thanks again.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
+ 1 on the gasket seal set and new oil pump. You can do the valve guide seals without pulling the heads you just use air pressure to hold the valves closed and have each cylinder on tdc in case a valve should drop it dont fall in. pushing a length of 1/4 rope in the cylinder will also hold the valves closed. pull the intake off and seal in the valleys between the head and block with permatex #2 when you put the new gasket on. I`m not sure if you need to pull the rear cap to change the rear main. Oh yea get a new fuel pump also they are a pain to replace in the truck. sure as s*&t that would be the first to crap out.

strvger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it has a new fuel pump and the valve seals were done last spring. i will change out the oil pump though. any point to getting a high volume oil pump? would think i'd also have to get a different oil pan that would hold more than 4-5 quarts.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you can get a high volume pump go for it you dont need a different pan but from all I read stock pumps are pretty good also not all that much improvment.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Hv pumps help pump more oil to the parts who are clearanced out more to help keep the pressure and flow to other parts. I'm running one and didn't need a larger oil pan.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
so did u get everything back together? was just wondering how detailed the full gasket set was that u used, and which brand u used, and if there were any complaints? take any pics?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals