• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

For Sale 2.8 V6 Duraspark and Points Distributors 30-2691

Doug Burgoyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Actually came across quite clear man! Answered questions you shouldn't have had to, if I'd read description again and looked at pictures. I appreciate you providing the "if it was me" scenario. I like that direction also, and cheap. So simple. I'm surprised more folks dont go that direction...when confronted with unobtanium nature of DS dizzys. Like they are stuck on electronic ignition, while running 50+ year old fuel delivery tech. Unless there are economy or performance with points vs DS, I'm not yet familiar with. When these were dime a dozen and plentiful...I can see the allure of DS option over others. I'm waiting to hear back from cardone on rebuild option for DS version. Then I can make up my mind and pull trigger!

Doug Burgoyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I'm striking out on finding a rebuilder for your DS dizzy. So will probably try my luck with one of your points versions. Have 2150 non feedback coming to pair with it. Question to folks that may know: Could I use stock TFI coil with this set up, or would I be better to switch to canister type? I'm guessing with canister type would need some sort of inline resistor? Thoughts on that? Lastly, pulled a plug on my impossible to start 1984 ranger (new plug) and grounded to good clean ground and cranked. Spark was smaller and underwelming yellowish spark. Was looking for snappy blue spark. You think my coil may be shot? Has freshly rebuilt feedback carb, and spark...and it won't even cough when cranking...even with shooting quick start down carb. Crazy. Wondering if new coil would fix this. If so, I'd like to buy one that will work in short term (to try tfi anyway) as well as with new points/carb set up. As always, thanks for your help as I attempt to sort this out!

Doug Burgoyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Steve, I didnt again...asking questions you already answered above (coils, wiring,etc). Sorry about that! Still interested in thoughts about my small yellow spark currently experiencing though. Thanks!

halfmoontrail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Doug, I went through so many threads on here and the Bronco II forum when I was struggling with my 85 B2 (now running fairly well on used DS distributor and new plugs/wires/internally resisted 12v coil and $100 new 2100 carb - now I need to do the valve seals because she's a mosquito fogger). I think others have reused their TFI coils but I don't remember details. I'm not sure about your weak spark. The internally resisted 12v coil is a no name listed for Ford tractors, was only about $20 including mounting bracket.

Doug Burgoyne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Haha mosquito fogger! Lucky for me, my 84 ranger is low mile (79k original) rig and no smoke even after sitting a week. But leaky v covers so planning on new gaskets and valve adjust and seals too. But she's kinda rough on the exterior. Only paid $500 for it. I'm going to try and embrace the patina thing...at least as long as my OCD will allow. I'm looking forward to old school points set up, at least for now, until DS dizzy gets rebuilt. Will probably put 2-3000 miles a year max and for trips to dump, lumber yard, and up the road to my light wheeling service roads and OHV area. Its 4x4 and I leveled up front with 1.5" of big washers under coils (hat tip to TRS write up) and stuck some 31x10.5 tires and 15" MB wheels under it.

Attachments

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
I'm interested in one of your distributors

bubba79

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171..+0.30over
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4+4 susp.and body
Total Drop
Tire Size
12.50x16 agg.tries about 33"
I'll take on of the distributor if still available
These things are getting harder the hens teeth to find

ArkieEddie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I will take one of the points type distributors if you still have one. Will probably do a pertronix conversion. Will send you a DM.
Man, someone needs to figure out a solution with all new and re-manufactured distributors gone. I ran across an ebay store that sells for a Ford 2.8L V6 Cologne engine distributor for British cars. Company in the UK selling them. Compatibility list is all British and Euro cars. I have no idea if these would work on the U.S. 2.8L. Maybe the gear would be different? Just don't know. Anyway, need one of your points type distributors.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals