• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 engine miss?

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
EGR Vacuum Control replaced. No idling difference at all. Still pinging away and can't put it under enough load to tell if the miss is gone. New Symptom: whatever the switch next to the battery is (with the positive cable coming in and then out to the starter), started buzzing for about 15-20 seconds after I shut the truck off and removed the key. Ideas??

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it's the starter solenoid switch

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am going out right now to change the air temperature and coolant temperature sensors

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you can't get above 6* you screwed something up. If you took the dis out you need to go back and try again, you are a tooth off somehow.

Check the roll pin that holds the cam gear in place on the dis stem. I had one break on me a few years ago, took me forever to figure out why it wasn't running right.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That was kinda my thought. I should be able to (theoretically) pull the dist. out a little a just set it back in, right?? What does the roll pin look like? Cam gear is obviously a gear...
by the way. Air temp sensor tested good, didn't mess with coolant temp sensor yet, not throwing any codes for it. Performed the goose test when getting codes and it told me there was no response from the MAP. Changed that and reran test and that code went away. Still not idling right. Only codes I am getting now is a 41 (lean), 73 TPS out of range (i set it higher to keep it running) and a 25. No more EGR codes! F*** yea! Is a steady 30 lbs of fuel pressure ok?? It's not the spec'd 36ish.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and would the timing being off 4 degrees cause it to knock as much as it is? It's pinging like a Chinese hooker. Or would that be more related to the possible bad O2 sensor and the lean condition?

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"Check the roll pin that holds the cam gear in place"

Is this the pin that slides through the dist stem holding the replaceable gear on the shaft? If it is broken I only need to buy the replacement gear and pin, right?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, thats the pin I'm talking about. If it's broken you should only need a new pin. They get weak over time because they aren't particularly strong to begin with.

I just straightened the holes up and ran the new pin through the hole to push the old one out.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will be sure to check it out. I have another dizzy in the garage. could always steal its pin.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK. Fuel filter changed. Needed it, but wasn't horrendous. O2 sensor changed. No difference in closed loop idling. Thought I would use my timing gun to check spark on all my plugs. #1 cylinder is not getting spark on the same frequency as the "miss" and rough idle. Narrowing down the problem to the distributor??? Is there something in the distributor I need to check, such as a pickup, etc..... The cam gear and roll pin look fine.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All other cylinders were sparking just fine.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK. Found a bad #1 wire. Replaced it. Still not getting the right spark. Took out dizzy and replaced the pickup with a newer-ish one. Solved the spark issue. Still idles like crap. actually got the base timing set to 10*. Idles pretty good when the SPOUT is not hooked up. Plug in the SPOUT......crappy idle. What the hell is left to check on this thing????? Oh....and the buzzing??? Seems to be coming from the new EGR Vacuum Control Solenoid, NOT the solenoid starter switch (unplug it and the buzzing stops).

WTF?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is this stuff that has been covered so much everyone is rolling their eyes? Or is my truck unique enough it needs to be scrapped.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wondering if my problems are head gasket related. Problem is it seems to run fine when cold. Runs fine if I unplug one of the vacuum lines and runs pretty good if I leave the SPOUT unhooked. As soon as it goes into closed loop the problems start. Bad relay? I kinda wish I hadn't given it a tune up. Was running halfway decent Before new plugs, cap, rotor, TFI, EGR, etc......I can't drive it now. It won't stay running.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am going to give it another compression test tomorrow to see if something goofy is going on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals