• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 issues

gtstang03

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,
new to the forum, but no new to the 2.9. Seem to be having some issues i am hoping you can help with.
i have a 88 b2 with 225000 miles on it. Runs great for the miles on it. except every once in a while i have a hestitation and rich condiion issue.

I have used the search and other tools on this forum to fix past issues and look for this one.

It only happens if i have been driving for a good amount of time 30mins or plus and/or when it is extremely hot outside, 110+. lol
It will start idle rough and when taking off it will barely get out of its own way, when i see a steady black stream of black smoke pooring out of the exhaust. if i put it to the floor it wil try to clean out and then start doing it again. All you smell is rotten eggs from the cat, probably all the fuel burning off.

So i have replaced he vacuum manifold pressure sensor on the back firewall, cap rotor, leaky inline fuel pump, fuel filter, new fuel pressure regulator, battey wiring, fuel safety switch, modding to not get hot on the floor board, check for vacuum leaks.
I am stumped.

Could it be the cat? or is something else overheating cause it to run rich.
Any help is great.

Last edited:

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm having the same problem, i scanned mine and the first code that came up was the TPS(throttle positioning sensor). You can check to see if yours is faulty by using an ohmmeter on the outside prongs and rolling on the throttle. Their shouldn't be any drop in the reading as your rolling on the throttle. If their is, you have a bad tps. Hope this helps you.

gtstang03

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having the same problem, i scanned mine and the first code that came up was the TPS(throttle positioning sensor). You can check to see if yours is faulty by using an ohmmeter on the outside prongs and rolling on the throttle. Their shouldn't be any drop in the reading as your rolling on the throttle. If their is, you have a bad tps. Hope this helps you.
Does yours only do it when driving a while and hot..
Mine runs like a champ for about 30 mins.
I will check the tps, i had a tps go bad on my stang before and it was erractic as hell

TwoWhels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What about your Ignition Control Module.
Don't think they set off codes and heat kills em.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals