• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Power

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
This thread is not what the title suggests. I am part of a Bronco II group on facebook and someone asked about getting more power out of a 2.9L. So this guy posted that he rebuilt his 2.9l, had the heads shaved .01 and added free flow 1 3/4 tube headers. He is claiming he got 197 hp and 250 lb ft of torque at 4000 rpm at the wheels on the dyno. I think he is posted some BS, but i am not that knowledgeable with engines that much. Is this even possible? I would think if getting that much power out of 2.9 was that easy people wouldn't swap them out so fast.

What do you guys think :icon_confused:

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Dynos lie a lot. Like a lot.

Have him post pics, or it didn't happen.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It's been discussed at length before....

It is possible to build up a 2.9 to get performance like that or more. But it becomes cost-prohibitive really quickly since there was never really an aftermarket for the 2.9L motor. You can bore it out, have a custom set of crank and cam shafts done, port and polish the intake and exhaust, run a Scorpio intake (twin throttle bodies FTW), put 4.0L valves in the heads, convert to a MAF system over the factory speed density, headers, etc.

But the bottom line is that unless you have use of a machine shop and it's just a labor of love to play around with, the expense of having all that sort of stuff done to build it up easily becomes greater than the cost of stuffing a 302 under the hood and calling it a day.

That said, a good full-on tune-up of a 2.9 can do wonders for how well it runs - I'm talking fuel filter, air filter, oil change (throw a cup of ATF in there while you're at it), plugs, wires, cap and rotor, TFI module (they're often bad, Autozone will test them for free), etc. I swapped the larger throttle body on the 2.9 that is currently in my choptop and it does pretty decent like that. I have an intention of pulling the motor and swapping it for the 4.0 in my 88 that I never got around to wiring up, while I have the 2.9 out I'll throw a set of headers on it and probably do a MAF conversion because I was able to pick the parts up for cheap. Do I expect mad horsepower gains? No. But it will probably run a little more efficiently and that's all I'm really after.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Or he could have spent half the money and a quarter of the time and just swapped in a 4.0.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I swapped out the cam with a roller cam and rockers and port and polished the heads and got a bit more power and torque on my 83 ranger 2.8 and I did the same with my 89 BII 2.9 motor. The power was much better and it only took me 2 days to do the work and had them back on the road and wheeling again. I could tell the difference when towing my bike trailer or one of my boats. The 4.0 motor is the best motor for a stock motor. If I had another Ranger or BII with the smaller motor I would do a 4.0 swap now a days.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
So this guy posted that he rebuilt his 2.9l, had the heads shaved .01 and added free flow 1 3/4 tube headers. He is claiming he got 197 hp and 250 lb ft of torque at 4000 rpm at the wheels on the dyno.
He's extremely FOS.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I believe those numbers can be had from a 2.9, but it will take a lot more work than that.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Seems to be the typical answer for trying to build a 2.9 on this board.
When I knew nothing about cars other than the basics I came to the conclusion that it is less work and money to put a 4.0 in than to build any real power out of a 2.9.

This was when I still though I could up performance on a 2.9 by installing a coil pack.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
had the heads shaved .01
This also would have been pointless. Basically just shaved enough to make sure they are straight. If actually wanted gains out of a decked head, you need to be in the 0.040" or more range. Depending on piston to valve clearance.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
1 3/4 headers would make a 2.9 fall on its face on the low end....197 hp at 4,000 also shows it's BS....you need to spin a smaller motor faster to make power if it's not turbo'd or supercharged. Horsepower is always measured from torque....power graphs always show the same HP and TQ at 5,250 RPM so that means the HP would rise from 4,000 and the TQ would drop until 5,250....if it made more HP I think he would've claimed that figure.....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seems to be the typical answer for trying to build a 2.9 on this board.
Just a fact of life :dntknw:

About 10 years ago a guy on here mixed and matched a 2.8 and 2.9 and came up with something like a 4.3 out of it. He said it ran pretty good. He had a ton of work and $$ in it though...

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
So general thought is the guys I full of shit. I asked him to post dyno papers and he has yet to respond.

Sent from, wait how did this get here?

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
My vote is yes, he is. Somewhere a few years back I came across a guy claiming 200 hp from a OHV 2.9, with forced induction. Not sure of his validity either. Where is the porting for the intake? Without significant change to air in, he isn't getting that kind of change out. Know what I mean? My old 80" Evo Harley has bigger bores and uses 1 3/4" header pipe.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals