• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to 3.0?

d9n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here's the deal, the 2.9/5sp in my 87' 2wd is on it's last leg. I've come across a complete 04' 3.0/auto drivetrain (accident truck) with 56k for cheap. Is it worth the swap?
thanks

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
No.

You'll lose power, and it'll be a pain in the ass.

Go with anbother 2.9.

later,
Dustin

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
put a 5.0l in there!

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
How would he lose power? 3.0 is rated at 12 more horses than the 2.9. If he can get the whole engine and tranny for cheap I'd say go with it. Only reason the peolpe don't like the 3.0 is because they say it lacks power. But the truth is they lack tourqe down low. But have it up top around 3,000. The 3.0 is a very reliable engine, and can get around 24mpg (no overdrive, keep it at 3,200). You will need the computer and all wiring with the engine. Is the new engine from a 4x2 or 4x4?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
agreed that the 3.0 will make more power than the 2.9. not only because the 3.0 MAKES more power than the 2.9...but also because most anything will make more power than a high-mileage, worn out motor.

also agreed that you might see better fuel economy.

heres the bad news: your donor motor is OBDII. this means your going to have to swipe many sensors, computer, engine wiring harness, engine mounts, possibly drivelines, exhaust at least as far as the rearmost O2, ect. you'll also have problems getting your gauges to work (the newer trans does not have provisions for a speedo cable), if the new truck is PATS, then your entire ignition will likely need to be swapped....im sure im missing something.

normally im all for guys upgrading to a 3.0...but i think in your case, its probably much more time, work, and money than just finding another runnable 2.9.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I have to disagree. My 2.9 has 147K on it and regularly gets anywhere between 17-24 mpg. You will be hard pressed to beat that with a 3.0L, besides, the 3.0L's are dogs unless you are running a manual transmission.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I guess I could agree. Unless you are up to alot of work a running 2.9 will be easiest to swap in.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Wicked_Sludge already brought up the biggest nightmare: OBD2

If it were say... a 1994 3.0 I'd say go for it, but there is just way
too many generation gaps between the donor and the receipient

AD

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is a pretty big job just converting a 2.9 to a closer in year 3.0.
Are both trucks 5spd/2wd?
The easiest way would be to find an old Aerostar ('86-'87) for the intake and ECA, then retrofit the engine to run with the 2.9 wiring harness.

d9n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys, what the donor ranger is a running 04 2wd with a 3.0/ auto. The truck was passenger side punched and the front clip has been removed. It's to be auctioned. My truck is a 1987 2wd 2.9/5sp with a 4" lift, 30" tall tires, 4.10 LS 7.5 rearend and my everyday driver. If everything is with the 04', would everything bolt up?

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0 won't bolt to the 2.9 trans. You would have to use the complete drivetrain and electrical system.
The '04 dash components won't fit the '87 dash so you would need to graft the whole dash in somehow.
The wiring runs through the the firewall in different places and has different holes.
I'm not sure if the motor mounts would work. I do know that the 3.0 mounts to '97 will work.
The two trucks are really completly different trucks. The only thing they share is the names.

Makifo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have to disagree. My 2.9 has 147K on it and regularly gets anywhere between 17-24 mpg. You will be hard pressed to beat that with a 3.0L, besides, the 3.0L's are dogs unless you are running a manual transmission.
Hey Jspafford, I have an '89 with a 2.9 but can't manage to get better than 15 mpg. I don't drive it hard at all. I recently went with new plugs and wires and set the timing per the book. Not only is the mileage bad, in my opinion it lacks power. Do you do your own work under the hood? If so, what secrets do you have?
~Makifo

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
As a matter of fact I do work on my own trucks... With exception of the F-250, too new and expensive to screw up.

When I first got my B2 I never kept track of the mileage because back then it didn't cost shit to fill it up. Within the last 1.5 years I have been keeping pretty good dibs on the miles.

I do know that the more work I do to it, the better the mileage gets. The one thing that I noticed affected my mileage the most was a broken O2 sensor.

Other than that I have just about rebuilt the entire truck. The motors been out and painted, all new belt driven accessories at one time or another. Changed most of the sensors on the motor, Fuel Pressure Regulator, had the Injectors cleaned, put in a manual t-case and locking hubs, swapped in a M5OD tranny in place of the FM146, all new brakes, u-joints, steering components, etc.

So I can't tell you what one thing worked, but in the summer with the hubs unlocked and A/C off I averaged about 20-22MPG mixed driving. I took a small trip with the fiancee to a cabin in the woods in July. I had to leave the hubs locked to get up the driveway, but all the driving I did was in the country on winding roads and revved the motor a lot and got my best yet of 24.3MPG.

Needless to say, the F-250 is more a yard ornament at this point.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM. I am pretty fluent with the 2.9L.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
I have to disagree. My 2.9 has 147K on it and regularly gets anywhere between 17-24 mpg.
and some 3.0 guys have claimed as much as 30.

you cant base MPG claims on a single engine (unless your talking about an individual). you need to look at the average. most 2.9 guys see a steady 3-4MPG less than the 3.0 guys.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a fair amount of time to spend doing the swap and triple checking your work (and resolving any issues), I'd do it just for the newer engine, trans, fuel injection, etc. (but get the whole truck). But the thing that worries me is "every day driver". If this is your only vehicle I'd get a rebuilt long block, new belts, hoses, tune up stuff, and do the swap over a long weekend.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals