• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 to 4.0 swap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hi im new to this site im not sure what im doing yet..so im on my third ranger its an 86 2.9 5 speed 4x4. the old 2.9 is getting tired(valve tap oil smells like gas all that good stuff) im wanting to put a 4.0 in it if i keep it. ill probably get one out of a 92 or 93 ranger/exploder. im curious what else i need besides the engine and PCM. if someone could help that would be great. also this ranger and my other 86(2.3 5 speed 4x4) are both for sale. ask me for more details thanks chris

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
An M5OD trans would be a good idea, but not absolutely necessary. You will need engine wiring and probably dash wiring.

Exhaust will need some work but I'm not sure how much.

I think that the engine mounts are compatible, but it would be a good idea to replace them while you already have the engine out. I've done it on a car with much more open space while the engine was in, PITA.

Document your work as you go, let me know what all you do end up needing since I plan on doing this to my 87 in a year or two.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need a donor vehicle. Period. That's how much need to be changed. That's how I did mine. You also need to get on Helminc.com and get the factory wiring diagrams for both vehicles. They are $10 each and the difference between having a 3,500# hunk of scrap metal and a running vehicle. I would also get the EVTM for them, or at least the donor.

If you don't do these things, Vegas will give heavy odds against you succeeding.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
And I don't know what rear axle you have but when you get the donor vehicle take the 8.8 if it is so equipped. One of the guys I work with did this same swap (almost exactly).

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the help! the truck is for sale now so i think ill just put another 2.9 in it. im looking for an 88 4x4 ext cab, so if i find one it will eventually get a 4.0 swap

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
Hi chris!!! lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals