• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 Won't idle under 1500

johndeeregarner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 STX 5-Speed
Transmission
Manual
I gave my truck a tune up (new plug wires, distributor, rotor, spark plugs) and now it won't idle under 1500, and I took the TB off and I can smell gas. There was gas (at least I think it was gas) sitting in the intake. It runs fine..at 1500..but I want to get it fixed. Do I just have the wires hooked up wrong or what.

Thanks,
jdg

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a shot in the dark but maybe check the Fuel Pressure Reg. Pull the vacuum line off and see if gas drips out. Another idea is maybe you knocked a vacuum line loose...?

sedley847

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have the same problem, can't pin point it though. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, set the timing, the only thing I did different I cleaned the throttle body. Idles at 1500 to 1800 the only way I can get it close to the recommended 850 is to keep the A/C on that takes to around 1000RPM. I also can't pin point any vacuum leaks. Other than that its not bad for having 172,000 miles on the clock.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you read my previous posts on here I have had some of the same problems. I chnaged my plugs (again) this week and once it got hot it would idle at 1100 or 1000 but mostly just die. I tapped the IAC with a screwdriver handle with it idleing high and it would want to die and start stumbleing around. I had checked it by unplugging it while running and it would just die and they say that's what's supposed to happen if it is working. I cleaned it once and that has worked for some guys here,it helped a little. I just put a new IAC on today($72) and it runs MUCH better and actually idles now :) But I had taken it to a shop to diagnose the problems I was having and they couldn't find anything wrong,it ran fine for them :( But that showed me that the computer was working fine as was the fuel system.

logicgear

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3/4
i know this is old but incase you haven't gotten it fixed i had a customer come in last month with a 2.9L with the same problem and he had just done a tune up. i went out to take a look and while looking we were talking and he said that after the tune up his heater didn't work right...it would blow out of all vents at the same time. i check the little plactic vac hose going to the heater box and it was broken. causing a vacume leak. we patched it with a peace of rubber hose and both problems went away. just my two cents.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals